- Research, Scholarly and Creative Activities, and Discovery: Create a culture of excellence that results in flourishing, sustainable, and widely recognized research, scholarly and creative activities, and discovery in a variety of disciplines and endeavors that benefit society as a whole.
- Undergraduate Educational Experience: Build a connected, diverse, empowered, engaged, participatory culture of learning and excellence that promotes undergraduate student success and prepares students for their professional, community, social, and personal lives.
- Graduate Scholarly Experience: Advance a culture of excellence that attracts highly talented, diverse graduate students and produces graduates recognized as outstanding in their respective professions.
- Engagement, Extension, Outreach, and Service: Be a national leader and model for a re-invented and transformed public research land-grant university integrating research, education, and engagement.
- Faculty and Staff: Foster a work environment that encourages creativity, excellence, and high morale in faculty and staff, responds to changing needs, embraces diversity, values communication and collaboration, and is respectful, trusting, fair, and collegial for all.
- Facilities and Infrastructure: Provide facilities and infrastructure that meet our evolving needs at a competitive level with our benchmark institutions and are an asset to recruit and retain quality students, faculty, researchers, and staff.
- Athletics: Strengthen the interconnectivity between intercollegiate athletics and the campus community to prepare our student-athletes for success in school, in sport, and after graduation and benefit our university, community, and state.
- Improve utilization of existing space and technology.
- Optimize program adjacencies in the campus core.
- Integrate academic and research activities in shared facilities.
- Cultivate spaces for intellectual and social collaboration.
- Develop synergistic spaces that encourage new models for collaboration, interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary work, and interaction
- Strategic groupings of programs that facilitate work and services
- Provide multi-functional space for optimum utilization
- Flexible space
- Classroom space
- Historic campus buildings
- Friendly, student-centered campus environment
- Utilize current space attributes
- Quality of space vs. quantity of space
- Feasibility and fiscal responsibility
- Co-locating functions and activities
- Bring departmental units together for ease of communication, collaboration, and interaction