ESS Tutoring Services
For students accepted into the ESS program, Educational Supportive Services can provide one-on-one and/or small-group tutoring appointments for high demand classes upon request. Tutors are trained to work with any student, regardless of background, academic proficiency, or learning style.
After submitting an application (See "Qualifying and Applying"), students will be contacted by email to set up an appointment with one of our coordinators to arrange tutoring and discuss ESS services.
In the event that ESS tutor availability conflicts with your current schedule, tutoring opportunities are also available to all Kansas State University students through the Academic Assistance Center.
- Educational Supportive Services would like to ensure that you benefit from our tutorial services. To guarantee quality of services, initial one-hour tutoring appointments will be scheduled by our Academic Services Coordinator/Peer Ambassadors based on tutor and subject availability. Beyond that initial appointment, it will be your responsibility to schedule future appointments with your tutor. Each ESS participant is eligible for three hours per subject of tutoring per week and appointments can be scheduled no more than two weeks in advance.
- Participants are expected to attend all tutoring sessions. However, as soon as you know if you need to cancel a session or if you will be late, call or e-mail the ESS office at 785-532-5349 and ESS@ksu.edu. You may also contact your tutor as well. PLEASE DO NOT CALL YOUR PEER AMBASSADOR. If no one answers the phone, please leave a message.
- Three unexcused absences will result in your tutoring being immediately terminated until you have had a conference with the Assistant Director. Upon receiving the notice of a second absence from your tutor, your Peer Ambassador will e-mail or call you to set up a conference time. During this conference, you and the Assistant Director will discuss the decision to resume or discontinue your tutoring. The Assistant Director will use his or her discretion to determine whether discontinuation or resumption of tutoring is appropriate.
- ESS participants can avoid an absence by contacting the ESS Office or their tutor at least two hours before your scheduled appointment time and rescheduling the appointment.
- ESS participants are expected to come to the tutoring session prepared, and having had attempted your homework and have problem areas or areas of difficulty ready to discuss with the tutor. You are expected to attend tutoring sessions even if you feel comfortable with the material. You can cover material in the next section or chapter, or review a previous unit.