ENGL 805: Practicum in Teaching
1st Year GTAs
Policy Statement and Course Schedule -- Fall 2003
Practicum provides an introduction to the KSU Expository Writing Program, our curriculum and methods. Our work is aimed at fostering your development as teachers.
Over the course of the next two years you will be:
- practicing tools and strategies to help students do their best work.
- developing a portfolio to demonstrate evidence of teaching effectiveness.
Your Responsibilities During Fall Semester:
- Provide a copy of your policy statement and course plan
- Arrange for your class to be observed
- Be observed by a teaching advisor
- Observe one of your colleagues before midterm.
- Have a file-review conference with an advisor by November 14
- Compile one set of graded essays (including all student's revisions, preferably with your comments on both an early and a revised draft)
- Assemble a teaching/professional portfolio
- Compose a C.V. and statement of teaching philosophy (STP)
- Collect a variety of materials for your teaching portfolio
- Provide sample essays (A-F) for grading sessions
- Attend all meetings
- If illness or an unavoidable conflict prevents you from attending a meeting, please give one of us a written explanation of your absence. Chronic absence will be noted in your departmental teaching file.
Schedule of Classes (1st Year GTAs)
- Planning Unit #1: 2 Descriptions & An Analysis (8/27-9/17)
||Labor Day Holiday
- Make-Up Meeting for 9/1:
- VARK Communication Survey
- Planning the Semester
- Refining Lesson Plans
||Planning Unit #2: Summary & Strong Response (9/19-10/10)
- Online Resources (PowerPoint Presentation)
- How to Grade Student Work
- Planning Revision Workshops (EH228)
- Presentation: Problem Students
- Rubrics for Expos 1 Essays
- Plagiarism & Documentation (joint meeting with 2nd year GTAs in EH226)
- Planning Unit #3: Informative & Surprising Essay (10/15-11/5)
- Presentation: Student Conferences
- Conferencing Strategies
- Preparing for Midterm Portfolio
- Presentation: Procedures for Reporting Plagiarism
- Grading Session on "Difficult" Papers
- No Class
||Read Midterm Portfolios
- Planning Unit #4 (11/7-11/25)
- Effective & Efficient Grading Strategies
||Planning Unit #5 (12/1-12/11)
- Revision Activities
- Presentation: Classroom Time Management/Pacing
- Overview of Expository Writing 2
- Preparation: Read Chapter 1 (3-21), Chapter 2 (22-48), and p.64.
- Comparison of Grading Systems
- Expository Writing 2 continues
- Preparation: Task #3 (447-454); read pp.289-96, 300-302.
- Presentation: Refining Your Teaching Persona
||Prepare for Final Portfolio Exam
||Jan. 21 at 1:30pm in EH 228
- Components of Argument.
- Preparation: Read Chapter 4 (75-86) and Chapter 5 (87-108); complete #5 & #6 for exercise on p.90 and exercise on p.97.
- Bring two copies of your policy statement for spring semester.
| Previous Courses
| Women's Studies Links
| Literary Links
Department of English
| Kansas State University
Last updated 15 January 2004