Young Writers' Workshop
June 18-22, 2018
Unlock your creativity ...
If you love to tell stories,
if you scribble poems,
if you write essays,
apply to the Young Writers’ Workshop!
For one week on the campus of Kansas State University, work with experienced teachers, dig into your imagination, and command the language to create original, inventive works of writing.
Meet with published writers -- slam poets, graphic novelists, oral historians, and playwrights -- who will share advice on where to get ideas, how to get going, and why they write.
Join us for a week of creative immersion!
Location: Beach Museum on the campus of Kansas State.
8:15 – 9:00 Drop-off, with continental breakfast provided
9:00 – 10:30 Welcome, warm-up exercises, and writing workshops
10:45 – 12:00 Writing and sharing
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch provided
1:00 – 3:00 Visit from guest writers
3:15 – 4:00 Writing time and wrap-up exercises
Program concludes with a graduation ceremony and reading by the participants.
Cost: Free to apply and to attend.
- Applicants must be entering 8th, 9th, or 10th grades.
- Applicants must complete the application form and submit their application by May 15, 2018.
- Applicants must provide a confidential letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, or principal.
- Completed application form (.pdf), with 150-word personal statement from the applicant about his or her interest in the program
- Space is limited to 15 participants, so submit applications by May 15, 2018 for priority consideration!
- Confirmation of acceptance will be provided by May 25, 2018.
- Applications submitted after May 15, 2018 will be considered as space is available.
- Dr. Katy Karlin, Program Director and Lead Instructor
- Zian Butler
- Gavin Colton
- Kenan Orhan
- Interested in applying to serve as one of our 2019 Instructors? See the call for applications.
- Program Assistant
- Adrianna Gordey
- Interested in applying to serve as our 2019 Program Assistant? See the call for applications.
- Adrianna Gordey
- The Department of English
- Helen and Duke Dupre
- The Beach Museum
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.