Shakespeare Study Tour
Visit the American Shakespeare Center in Staunton, Virginia with Professor Don Hedrick
September 18-20, 2015
Combine education, entertainment, and tourism on this Shakespeare study tour at the American Shakespeare Center.
Along with workshops and tours, you will enjoy performances of three Shakespearean plays of infatuation, romance, passion, and jealousy. A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Winter's Tale, and Antony and Cleopatra will be performed in the company's engaging, audience-friendly style emphasizing "original performance practices," in the beautiful recreation of Shakespeare's Blackfriars Playhouse, an all-wooden, decorated Tudor hall lit by chandeliers and wall sconces.
Centrally lodged in the elegant Stonewall Jackson Hotel adjacent to the theater, you can also wander the "hip and historic" town of Staunton, one of the oldest cities west of the Blue Ridge Mountains nestled in scenic Shenandoah Valley, and enjoy its many eateries, shops, and historic sites such as the birthplace and museum of President Woodrow Wilson.
Open to students, faculty, staff, and alumni of Kansas State University
- Performances of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Antony and Cleopatra, and The Winter’s Tale, staged at the beautiful recreation of Shakespeare's Blackfriars Playhouse
- Two workshops on Renaissance theater history, language, and performance
- A tour of the Blackfriars Playhouse
- Accommodations next to Blackfriars Playhouse at the historic Stonewall Jackson Hotel
- Lodging at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel ($329/per room for two nights).
- Participants contact the hotel directly by August 17, 2015 at 540-885-4848 to reserve a room (king or double) from the reserved room block for "Kansas State University."
- If participants wish to arrive earlier or stay later, they can visit with the hotel reservations staff for pricing.
- Tickets for the play performances, workshops, and tour ($133/per person).
- Ticket costs are payable (cash or check) to the English Department by August 17, 2015.
- Airfare between Manhattan Regional Airport and Charlottesville–Albemarle Airport, arriving by Friday early afternoon and departing Sunday ($400-500/per person).
- Participants arrange and pay for their own tickets, keeping in mind that they should arrive in Staunton by 4:00pm on Friday, September 18, 2015. (Travel time between Charlottesville and Staunton: approximately 45 minutes.)
- Ground transportation between Charlottesville–Albemarle Airport and Staunton ($100/per taxi, or $25/per person if sharing with three others, each way).
- Participants arrange transportation for themselves or email Don Hedrick at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 17 with their flight times, if they would like to share a taxi.
- Send an email to email@example.com by August 17, 2015 to register.
- Please include your name and contact information (email and phone), and we will confirm that space is still available.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.