SPEAK Test Policies
Availability: The SPEAK will continue to be given every month.
- January and August test sessions will be reserved for newly arrived students ONLY! Students must provide an admission letter.
- Students receiving scores of 45 may take the test again the next month (not January or August)
- Students with scores below 45 may take the test in two months time (not January or August)
- Students who fail the test twice must seek remediation before taking the test again.
- Results will be available one week from the test date. We try to get them out earlier.
Students must have:
- a one-on-one tutorial after the first test if they get a score of 45. This will help identify specific problems to work on and make the best use of a student's practice time.
- Students wanting a tutorial need to make an appointment
Students failing the test twice must seek remediation by taking DAS 154 or DAS 179.
In addition to DAS 154 or DAS 179, students:
- may use the pronunciation programs in the lab. They must make arrangements with the ELP to do so.
- If DAS 154/179 is not available, students need to make special arrangements with the Associate Director.
The English Language Program will explore ways in which to prepare students for the SPEAK test. These might include (if the demand is there):
- workshops at the beginning of the semester to help students prepare for the test
- alternative offerings of DAS 185 – Culture and Teaching Methods for International Teaching Assistants.
- offering two eight-week sessions of DAS 179 (2 credits instead of 3 credits), allowing students to study for eight weeks and then retake the SPEAK test.