SPEAK Test Policies
Availability: The SPEAK will continue to be given every month.
- January and August test sessions will be reserved for newly arrived students ONLY! Students must provide an admission letter.
- Students receiving scores of 45 may take the test again the next month (not January or August)
- Students with scores below 45 may take the test in two months time (not January or August)
- Students who fail the test twice must seek remediation before taking the test again.
- Results will be available one week from the test date. We try to get them out earlier.
Students can have:
- a one-on-one tutorial after the first test if they get a score of 45.
- Students wanting a tutorial need to make an appointment
Students failing the test twice must seek remediation by taking DAS 154 or DAS 179.
In addition to DAS 154 or DAS 179, students:
- may use the pronunciation programs in the lab. They must make arrangements with the ELP to do so.
- may contact the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) to get a conversation partner.
The English Language Program will explore ways in which to prepare students for the SPEAK test. These might include (if the demand is there):
- workshops at the beginning of the semester to help students prepare for the test
- alternative offerings of DAS 185 – Culture and Teaching Methods for International Teaching Assistants.
- offering two eight-week sessions of DAS 179 (2 credits instead of 3 credits), allowing students to study for eight weeks and then retake the SPEAK test.