1. K-State home
  2. »ELP
  3. »Admission
  4. »Getting your Visa

English Language Program

Getting Your Visa

As soon as you receive an I-20 Form (certificate of eligibility) from Kansas State University, request a visa from the  U.S. consulate or embassy in your country.

    • Schedule your visa interview as soon as possible after you receive your I-20. 
      • Give yourself as much time as possible to get your visa and make your travel arrangements.
  • Take all the documents that you might need to your interview.
    • Your passport
    • The I-20 and letter of admission from Kansas State University
    • Bank statements showing that you have enough money to pay your expenses
    • Other documents that can show that you are NOT planning to immigrate to the U.S.   An F-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa, so it is important to show that you have connections in your home country and that you will return.  Bring any evidence that you think shows that you plan to return to your country.  You may not have time to show everything you bring, but it is better to bring everything that might be useful than to be sorry that you did not bring something. This kind of evidence could include:
      • family photos
      • contracts
      • degree certificates
      • documents showing ownership of property
      • photos of your home
      • letters of reference (from an employer, for example)
  • Be prepared to present your information quickly.  
    • In a busy embassy, the visa officer may have only a few minutes for each interview.   Present your most important documents first and have the other things ready to show if you are given enough time.