Pedagogy and Professional Skills
Statistics and Experimental Design
Regression, ANOVA, Experimental Design
(STAT 705, STAT 704)
Regression or ANOVA (STAT 705, STAT 704)
Principles of College Teaching (EDCEP 943)
Professional Skills in Biology
Ecological Genomics &/or EEB Seminar/ Journal Club Participation
Pop. Genetics (PLPTH 750)
Fungal Genetics (PLPTH 927)
Biochemistry I (BIOCH 755)
Biochemistry II (BIOCH 765)
Insect Genetics (ENTOM 910)
Mol. Genetics Lab (BIOL 676)
Biotechnology (PLPTH 610)
Microbial Genetics (BIOL 675)
Eukaryotic Genetics (BIOL 705)
Adv. Cell Biology (BIOL 707)
Mol. Entomology (ENTOM 799)
Plant Stress Signal. (BIOL 802)
Quant. Genetics (AGRON 830)
Plant Mol. Biology (PLPTH 880)
Ecol. Genomics (BIOL 890)
Insect Biochem. (BIOCH 907)
Nucleic Acids (BIOCH 920)
Genome Analysis (PLPTH 915)
Signal Transduct. (BIOCH 911)
Genomics (BIOL 890)
Insect Ecology (ENTOM 692)
Landscape Ecology (BIOL 822)
Adv. Plant Ecology (BIOL 865)
Demographic Meth. (BIOL 823)
Phylogeography (BIOL 890)
Molecular Ecology (BIOL 890)
Adv. Aquatic Ecol. (BIOL 890)
Microbial Ecology (BIOL 687)
Fish Ecology (BIOL 682)
Behavioral Ecology (BIOL 515)
General Virology (BIOL 730)
Evolution (BIOL 620)
Nutrient Dynamics (BIOL 826)
Conservation Biol. (BIOL 828)
Ecology of Fungi (BIOL 890)
Ecology of Plant Pathogens
Comm. Ecology (BIOL 890)
Adv. Plant Systematics (BIOL 890)
- The Ph.D. in the DOB requires 90 hours of credit, including a dissertation. Specific Biology degree requirements can be found here.
- Fellows will choose an advisor and doctoral supervisory committee of EEG faculty soon after beginning the program.
- Fellows will take courses to match their individual research and educational needs. Your supervisory committee will help determine coursework that best address gaps in the understanding of critical conceptual issues.
During the first two years of graduate school, EEG Fellows will:
- Complete concept-based core courses.
- Complete an approved sequence in statistics.
- Complete the professional skills and college teaching courses.
- Attend and contribute to weekly seminars.
- Pass a comprehensive exam.
To facilitate the development of critical teaching skills, GAANN fellows will:
- Complete professional skills and college teaching courses.
- Teach in supervised settings each semester; usually 4-6 contact hours per week.
- First and second year GAANN fellows will participate in delivering introductory biology courses.
- Third year GAANN fellows may participate in delivering upper division courses.
- Senior graduate students will be offered control over lab sections in upper division courses.
GAANN fellows will be encouraged to participate in the Biology Graduate Student Association.