K-State Counseling Services Practicum Training Program
Overview and Description:
The Practicum Training Program is designed for Master's students seeking to develop their skills in shorter-term individual counseling (e.g., 8-15 sessions or less). Other supervised opportunities include conducting intake assessments and providing outreach or in-service programs. Practicum counselors receive one hour of individual supervision weekly, one hour of group supervision weekly, and are required to participate in a multi-disciplinary staff case conference group, large case conferences, and in-services.
Video equipment is available as all practicum counselors are required to tape each counseling session. This is a non-paid practicum and it requires an academic year commitment beginning in August and ending in May. Schedules for practicum counselors are developed in collaboration with their individual supervisor and the Practicum Training Coordinator at the start of each semester.
- Direct Service - Practicum counselors will provide short-term individual counseling (e.g., 8-15 sessions or less) to K-State students who present with a wide range of presenting concerns including adjustment disorders, mood disorders, family of origin issues, developmental issues, and etc. Practicum counselors may work with one client on a long-term basis.
- Individual Supervision - Practicum counselors receive one hour of individual clinical supervision per week. Each practicum counselor will be assigned one doctoral psychology intern as a supervisor. In order to provide a variety of supervisory experiences, practicum counselors may switch their doctoral intern supervisor at the semester break. Supervision sessions with the doctoral intern supervisors will be videotaped. The functions of these supervisory relationships include: monitoring client welfare; enhancing practicum counselor skills, enhancing multicultural competence, promoting personal and professional growth, and evaluating the practicum counselor's professional development on a continuous basis. Practicum counselors are required to be prepared for supervision (e.g., be ready to discuss clients and professional growth, watch taped sessions and have clips identified to review with supervisor).
- Group Supervision – Practicum counselors will meet together with the Practicum Training Coordinator for one hour each week to receive didactic and experiential training related to intakes, client consultation, case conceptualization, treatment planning, videotape review, and case presentations. Time will also be devoted to keep practicum counselors informed about center developments, discuss concerns, and provide support in adjustment to practicum.
- Large Case Conference, Small Case Conference, and In-Service - Practicum counselors are required attend the other training opportunities at Counseling Services. For instance, two times per month we have a one-hour multidisciplinary staff small case conference group with doctoral interns, psychologists, and other clinical staff members to discuss cases. We also have one-hour large case conferences in which a staff member conducts a formal case presentation and two-hour in-services in which a staff member presents on a specialty area or area of interest. Large case conference and in-services occur one time a month each.
Sample Practicum Training Schedule:
Hours Per Week
Large Case Conference, Small Case Conference, and In-Service
Clinical Prep, Video Review, and Paperwork
Practicum Application Requirements:
Application for the 2015-2016 academic year are due by August 3, 2015. Please include the following materials in your application if you are interested in applying:
- Letter of interest describing goals for practicum position at Counseling Services
- Graduate Transcript (unofficial copy acceptable)
- Current curriculum vitae with references
We ask that any student who has previously been seen as a client at Counseling Services take that into consideration when applying to our practicum. For instance, if you complete a practicum at our site you may interact with your prior therapist throughout your training activities here. However, your former therapist would not be assigned as a supervisor.
For more information or to submit your application, please contact:
Katie Tolle, Ph.D.
Licensed Psychologist & Practicum Training Coordinator
232 English/Counseling Services Bldg
Manhattan, KS 66506-6503