TEN TIPS FOR HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS
Healthy relationships bring happiness and health to our lives. Studies show that people with healthy relationships have more happiness and less stress. There are basic ways to make relationships healthy, even though each relationship is different. Here are Ten Tips for Healthy Relationships!
- Keep expectations realistic. No one can be everything we might want him or her to be. Healthy relationships mean accepting people as they are and not trying to change them!
- Talk with each other. It can't be said enough: communication is essential in healthy relationships!
- Be flexible. It's natural to feel uneasy about changes. Healthy relationships mean change and growth are allowed!
- Pay attention to you too. You probably hope those around you like you so you may try to please them or take care of them. Don't forget yourself. Healthy relationships have room for both!
- Be dependable. If you make plans with someone, follow through. If you take on a responsibility, complete it. Healthy relationships are trustworthy!
- Fight fair. Most relationships have some conflict. It only means you disagree about something, it doesn't have to mean you don't like each other!
- Smile, and show your interest. Relationships thrive through sharing warmth, and knowing each other!
- Keep your life balanced. Other people help make our lives satisfying but they can't meet every need. Find what interests you and become involved. Healthy relationships have room for outside activities!
- Sometimes it takes time. Most people have similar feelings about fitting in and getting along with others. Healthy relationships can be learned and practiced and keep getting better!
- Be you! It's much easier and more fun to be authentic than to pretend to be something or someone else. Healthy relationships are made of real people!
Written by Joyce Woodford
Kansas State University Counseling Services, Manhattan, KS © 2001