Counseling Services has a variety of self-help resources. Even though we’ve developed this list carefully, you may find ideas with which you disagree. Here are some recommendations on how to use this list:
- Don’t accept an idea, just because it comes from a reputable source. If the suggestions made by the site don’t fit your life, be cautious. You may want to think about the situation a while longer before implementing something you read.
- Talk about anything that puzzles you with a trusted psychologist or therapist
- If you decide to try a new approach to a problem, try it for a limited time. If you like the results, continue. If not, maybe the suggestion isn’t for you.
Locating the right website can be a daunting task! Search engines can produce thousands of hits for you. But which sites are reliable? To help sift through the possibilities, our staff has evaluated a number of sites. We’ve tried to narrow the list down to just a few sites on each topic.
Can a website be useful? At times, yes. You can gather information, resources, ideas, book suggestions, and much more. Some sites, for example, describe various mental health patterns, and give diagnostic and treatment information.
Most of the sites are sponsored by one of the following:
- Major universities
- Governmental organizations that specialize in mental health
- Non-profit foundations devoted to certain problems
- Sites created by mental health professionals
K-State Counseling Services Self-Help Materials
Materials developed by K-State Counseling Services Staff.
Counseling Services Video Recorded Kat Chats
Videos of presentations conducted by Counseling Services' staff.
KS: Community Mental Health Centers and Other Resources
A list of Community Mental Health Centers in Kansas
List of organizations that specialize in mental health issues
This section lists professional associations of mental health professionals. The websites contain much helpful information, and some have Fact Sheets or other resources of information.
Mental health libraries, containing articles on many topics
These sites offer information on a wide variety of mental health topics. Most contain separate fact sheets on disorders, or present more in depth articles on mental health topics.
Alphabetical list of mental health topics
Self-help materials provided by various organizations and helpful links to other Internet sites.