Resources to Help Parents
Your family member/significant other is either planning to attend K-State or is already enrolled. And as a concerned individual, their choice affects you.
We hope that the following information can assist you with your concerns for the student:
Adjusting when your family member/significant other goes off to college - Whether it is the first child going to college or your partner returning to school, families have to adjust to the changes both at their home life/schedules and in the changes they see as their family member-student grows and changes. This section may assist you in that process.
When you are concerned about your student who is away at college - Here you can find out about warning signs that your student may be having difficulties and steps you can take to get assistance.
For additional resources see:
- Black Excel: Primarily focused on helping African Americans with college admission, but has other resources and articles www.blackexcel.org
- NAACP: Has a youth and college division with information http://www.naacp.org/programs/entry/education-programs
- Latinos in College: Resources, forums and opportunities www.latinosincollege.com
- LD Online: Articles and resources about learning disabilities; has a college sectionwww.ldonline.org
- College Confidential: Articles and discussion forums around all college related topics www.collegeconfidential.com
- NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness: Awareness, education, and advocacy for individuals and families affected by mental illness www.nami.org
- The Jed Foundation: Working to reduce emotional distress and prevent suicide among college students www.jedfoundation.org