For Advisers: Using the College Learning Effectiveness Inventory with Your Students
The College Learning Effectiveness Inventory (CLEI) is an inventory designed to measure individual attitudes, behaviors, and dispositions related academic activity. Developed at K-State and based on research showing the key areas predicting college student success, this tool can help you and the student zero-in on their strengths and weaknesses to create a plan for more efficient progress in college.
View this short video now
The CLEI manual will give you more details about how the instrument was developed.
Before you use it with your students, we recommend that you take it yourself so you will be familiar with the process and can see your own profile results!
Learn the Success Factors:
- Academic Self-Efficacy: Expressing confidence in academic ability, awareness of effort toward study and expectation for success and college attainment.
- Organization and Attention to Study: The organization of tasks and structuring of time to set goals, plan, and carry out necessary academic activity.
- Stress and Time Press: Dealing with pressures of time, environmental concerns, and the academic demands that impact academic study.
- Involvement with College Activity: Belonging to organizations and participating in activities, including informal gatherings of friends and classmates, within the campus environment.
- Emotional Satisfaction: Degree of interest and emotional response to academic life including people and environment.
- Class Communication: Bother verbal and non-verbal effort to engage in class activity.
- Click on the link above for the CLEI and, using your K-State eID, register and begin the questions.
- When you complete all the items, you will receive your personal CLEI profile; this provides information that describes your individual strengths and weaknesses on the six areas of learning behaviors.
- Be sure to print out your results once you complete the assessment as you will need it later when you review these slides in the handout and when you work with the CLEI Workbook.
The CLEI Program of Change Workbook serves as guide as you work on your individual strengths and weaknesses. The book can be either downloaded as a free .pdf which you can then print or purchased via the following link; http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/bookstore/Item.aspx?catId=594&pubId=18379 or by searching for ECS1 within the bookstore website (www.ksre.ksu.edu/bookstore). Please keep in mind that due to copyright, this workbook is for personal use only and may not be sold to other entities or individuals.
HELPFUL HINT FOR VIEWING:
In order for the CLEI workbook pages to align when opened/viewed in Adobe Reader:
- Click on "View" in the upper menu bar
- Choose the "Page Display" option in the drop down menu
- Then choose the "Two Page View" and "Show Cover Page in Two Page View" in order to see the document pages side-by-side so that the graphics are aligned.
The VARK is a learning styles inventory that may help a person clarify their style and what they need to do in order to be more effective in their studies.