IRMC Meeting Minutes
February 18, 1999
Room 204 K-State Union
Jean Darbyshire, David Hillier, Ruth Dyer, Gary Leitnaker, Barbara Newhouse, Tom
Schellhardt, Harvard Townsend, Virgil Wallentine, Jane Rowlett
Cheryl Strecker, John Streeter, Tony Crawford, Doug Elcock, John Murray, Don Foster,
Terry King, Jason Lacey, Martin Ottenheimer,
Tom Schellhardt opened the meeting at 1:20.
Tom asked the subcommittee chairs to provide him with a report of their subcommittees' progress
by March 1 in preparation for the VPAST's May 1 report.
Tom indicated there was good attendance at the CITAC lecture last week on viruses. An Internet
2 lecture is planned in the middle of April.
Review and Approval of January 21, 1999 Minutes
It was moved and seconded that the minutes be approved as read. Motion passed.
Information Technology Executive Council Update (Townsend)
- Harv described the oversight by the state of Kansas (Senate Bill 5) regarding
IT purchases over $250,000 and the dilemma this presents. It is hopeful that
the Regents institutions will get research and education exempted from this
Computing and Network Services Update (Townsend)
- Harv indicated that the eligibility policy is in the process of being approved.
- David Hillier distributed a one-page draft (attached) of the data administration
policy for review by the committee. The committee will discuss this further
at the next meeting.
- David also indicated that he and Tom Schellhardt will be drafting a policy
to address security issues.
- Martin Ottenheimer and John Murray were not present. It was noted that the
Intellectual Property Committee has met twice and will be producing a draft
policy for the University.
Education and Policy Promotion
- Jean Darbyshire handed out a draft report from the Education and Policy Promotion
committee (also attached).
- A listserv has been set up for time sensitive alert messages.
- It was suggested that the organization of and the search engine for the KSU
web site be improved.
Meeting adjourned at 2:45 p.m.
Draft: Information Resource Management Policy
Draft: Education and Policy Promotion