STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
B.S./B.A. Chemistry Degree (ACS certified)
Revised Fall 2013
Graduates from the Chemistry degree program will have demonstrated:
- an understanding of major concepts, theoretical principles and experimental findings in chemistry.
- an ability to work effectively in diverse teams in both classroom and laboratory.
- an ability to employ critical thinking and efficient problem-solving skills in the four basic areas of chemistry (analytical, inorganic , organic, and physical).
- an ability to conduct experiments, analyze data, and interpret results, while observing responsible and ethical scientific conduct.
- effective written and oral communication skills, especially the ability to transmit complex technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- the ability to use modern instrumentation for chemical analysis and separation.
- the ability to use computers for chemical simulation and computation.
- the ability to employ modern library search tools (e.g. SciFinder) to locate, retrieve, and evaluate scientific information.
- a familiarity with, and application of safety and chemical hygiene regulations and practices.
- an ability to gain entry into professional schools, graduate programs, or the job market.
K-State Undergraduate Student Learning Outcomes
- Knowledge. Students will demonstrate a depth of knowledge and apply
the methods of inquiry in a discipline of their choosing, and they
will demonstrate a breadth of knowledge across their choice of varied
- Critical Thinking. Students will demonstrate the ability to access
and interpret information, respond and adapt to changing situations,
make complex decisions, solve problems, and evaluate actions.
- Communication. Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate
clearly and effectively.
- Diversity. Students will demonstrate awareness and understanding
of the skills necessary to live and work in a diverse world.
- Academic and Professional Integrity. Students will demonstrate awareness
and understanding of the ethical standards of their academic discipline
Download our Learning Outcomes Assesment Plan here. (Acrobat Reader required)
Download our Alignment Matrix here. (Acrobat Reader required)