Dr. Duy H. Hua
University Distinguished Professor of Chemistry
Adjunct Professor, KSU Center on Aging
B.S., Kyoto University, (1976)
Ph.D., Southern Illinois University of Carbondale, (1979)
Postdoctoral fellow, Harvard University (1980 - 1982)
Office Phone: 785-532-6699
Lab Phone: 785-532-6664
Website: Hua Group
Our research interest includes: (i) Design, synthesis and evaluation of bioactive natural products and small molecules; (ii) Bimetallic nanoclusters in enantioselective organic synthesis; and (iii) Nanocarriers for the delivery of siRNA and small molecules.
Our recent discovery of bimetallic nanocluster-mediated enantioselective oxidation of alcohols, alkanes, and alkenes along with C-C bond forming reaction has opened a new direction for the synthesis of chiral molecules. A number of biologically active small molecules have been discovered by our collaborators and my research group.
Five Selected Publications
1. Synthesis of cyclododeciptycene quinones. Kaiyan Lou, Allan M. Prior, Bernard Wiredu, John Desper, and Duy H. Hua. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 17635-17641. Doi: 10.1021/ja1088309.
2. Inhibition of acyl-CoA: cholesterol acyltransferase (ACAT), overexpression of cholesterol transporter gene, and protection of amyloid b (Ab) oligomers-induced neuronal cell death by tricyclic pyrone molecules. Laxman Pokhrel, Izumi Maezawa, Thi D. T. Nguyen, Kyeong-Ok Chang, Lee-Way Jin, and Duy H. Hua. J. Med. Chem. 2012, 55(20), 8969-8973; http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jm3012189.
3. Syntheses, neural protective activities, and inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase-3b of substituted quinolines. Jianyu Lu, Izumi Maezawa, Sahani Weerasekara, Ramazan Erenler, Tuyen D. T. Nguyen, James Nguyen, Luxi Z. Swisher, Jun Li, Lee-Way Jin, Alok Ranjan, Sanjay K. Srivastava, and Duy H. Hua. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters2014, 24, 3392-3397. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2014.05.085. Pubmed# 24951331, NIHMSID# 603264, Publ. ID# BMCL21699.
4. Chemical synthesis and bioactivity characterization of the endothelin-1 receptor antagonic tetracyclic terpenes. Jianyu Lu, Angelo Aguilar, Bende Zou, Weier Bao, Serkan Koldas, Antje Philine Wangemann, Xinmin Simon Xie, and Duy H. Hua. Bioorganic & Med. Chem. 2015, in press. http://dx.doi.org/10/1016/j.bmc.2015.06.055.
5. Modulation of mitochondrial complex I activity averts cognitive decline in multiple animal models of familial Alzheimer's Disease. Liang Zhang, Song Zhang, Izumi Maezawa, Sergey Trushin, Paras Minhas, Matthew Pinto, Lee-Way Jin, Keshar Prasain, Thi D. T. Nguyen, Yu Yamazaki, Takahisa Kanekiyo, Guojun Bu, Ben Gateno, Kyeong-Ok Chang, Karl A. Nath, Emirhan Nemutlu, Petras Dzeja, Yuan-PingPang, Duy H. Hua, and Eugenia Trushina. EBioMedicine2015, 2, 294-305; doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2015.03.009