Original Papers, Accounts (Peer-Reviewed Publications)
53. A. W. Kirkeminde, T. Torres, T. Ito, D. A. Higgins "Multiple Diffusion Pathways in Pluronic F127 Mesophases Revealed by Single Molecule Tracking and Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy", J. Phys. Chem. B 2011, 115, 12736-12743.
52. F. Li, R. Diaz, T. Ito "Quantitative Investigation of Surface Functionalization of Cylindrical Nanopores Derived from Polystyrene-Poly(methylmethacrylate) Diblock Copolymers", RSC Adv. 2011, 1, 1732-1736.
51. B. Pandey, K. H. Tran Ba, Y. Li, R. Diaz, T. Ito "Electrochemical Study of the Diffusion of Cytochrome c within Nanoscale Pores Derived from Cylinder-Forming Polystyrene-Poly(methylmethacrylate) Diblock Copolymers" Electrochim. Acta 2011, 56, 10185-10190.
50. D. M. N. T Perera, B. Pandey, T. Ito "Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy Studies of Organic-Solvent-Induced Permeability Changes in Nanoporous Films Derived from a Cylinder-Forming Diblock Copolymer", Langmuir 2011, 27, 11111-11117.
49. K. H. Tran Ba, T. A. Everett, T. Ito, D. A. Higgins “Trajectory Angle Determination in One Dimensional Single Molecule Tracking Data by Orthogonal Regression Analysis”, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2011, 13, 1827-1835.
48. F. Li, E. Shishkin, M. A. Mastro, J. K. Hite, C. R. Eddy, Jr., J. H. Edgar, T. Ito "Photopolymerization of Self-Assembled Monolayers of Diacetylenic Alkylphosphonic Acids on Group-III Nitride Substrates", Langmuir 2010, 26, 10725-10730.
47. D. M. N. T. Perera, S. Nagasaka, T. Ito "pH-Dependent Voltammetric Responses of Microdisk Gold Electrodes Modified with Thiotic Acid Self-Assembled Monolayers", Supramol. Chem. 2010, 22, 450-454.
46. T. Ito, I. Grabowska, S. Ibrahim "Chemical Force Microscopy for Materials Characterization: Investigations of Host-Guest Interactions and Polymer Surface Chemistry" Trends Anal. Chem. 2010, 29, 225-233.
45. D. M. N. T. Perera, T. Ito "Cyclic Voltammetry on Recessed Nanodisk-Array Electrodes Prepared from Track-Etched Polycarbonate Membranes with 10-nm Diameter Pores", Analyst 2010, 135, 172-176.
44. S. Ibrahim, T. Ito "Surface Chemical Properties of Nanoscale Domains on UV-Treated Polystyrene-Poly(methylmethacrylate) Diblock Copolymer Films Studied Using Scanning Force Microscopy", Langmuir 2010, 26, 2119-2123.
43. P. Gamage, K. Lovell, M. T. Basel, M. R. Pokhrel, D. Battle, T. Ito, M. Pavlenok, M. Niederweis, S. H. Bossmann "Poly-N-Isopropylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid Copolymers for the Generation of Nanostructures at Mica Surfaces and as Hydrophobic Host Systems for the Porin MspA from Mycobacterium smegmatis", J. Phys. Chem. C 2009, 113, 16485-16494.
42. K. H. Tran Ba, M. A. Mastro, J. K. Hite, C. R. Eddy, Jr., T. Ito "Nitrogen-Polar Gallium Nitride Substrates as Solid-State pH-Selective Potentiometric Sensors", Appl. Phys. Lett. 2009, 95, 142501.
41. H. C. Maire, S. Ibrahim, Y. Li, T. Ito "Effects of Substrate Roughness on the Orientation of Cylindrical Domains in Thin Films of a Polystyrene-Poly(methylmethacrylate) Diblock Copolymer Studied Using Atomic Force Microscopy and Cyclic Voltammetry", Polymer 2009, 50, 2273-2280.
40. Y. Li, T. Ito "Size-Exclusion Properties of Nanoporous Films Derived from Polystyrene-Poly(methylmethacrylate) Diblock Copolymers Assessed Using Direct Electrochemistry of Ferritins" Anal. Chem. 2009, 81, 851-855.
I. Szymaska, E. Dolusic, W. Dehaen, W. Maes, T. Ito, H. Radecka "Determination of Interaction Strength between Corrole and Phenol Derivatives in Aqueous Media Using Atomic Force Microscopy" Supramol. Chem.2009, 21, 555-563.
38. Y. Li, T. Ito "Surface Chemical Functionalization of Cylindrical Nanopores Derived from a Polystyrene-Poly(methylmethacrylate) Diblock Copolymer via Amidation" Langmuir,
37. Y. Xiao, T. Ito, D. A. Higgins "Grayscale Patterning of Polymer Thin Films with Nanometer Precision by Direct-Write Multiphoton Photolithography" Langmuir,
36. T. Ito, S. M. Forman, C. Cao, F. Li, C. R. Eddy, Jr., M.A. Mastro, R.T. Holm, R.L. Henry, K. L. Hohn, J. H. Edgar "Self-Assembled Monolayers of Alkylphosphonic Acid on GaN Substrates" Langmuir 2008,
35. T. Ito, D.-M. N. T. Perera, S. Nagasaka "Gold Electrodes Modified with Self-Assembled Monolayers for Measuring L-Ascorbic Acid: An Undergraduate Analytical Chemistry Laboratory Experiment", J. Chem. Educ. 2008,
34. T. Ito "Observation of DNA Molecules Using Fluorescence Microscopy and Atomic Force Microscopy: An Undergraduate Instrumental Analysis Laboratory Experiment" J. Chem. Educ. 2008,
33. Y. Li, H. C. Maire, T. Ito "Electrochemical Characterization of Nanoporous Films Fabricated from a Polystyrene–Poly(methylmethacrylate) Diblock Copolymer: Monitoring the Removal of the PMMA Domains and Exploring the Functional Groups on the Nanopore Surface", Langmuir 2007, 23, 12771-12776.
32. S. Ibrahim, D. A. Higgins, T. Ito "Direct-Write Multiphoton Photolithography: A Systematic Study of the Etching Behaviors in Various Commercial Polymers", Langmuir 2007, 23, 12406-12412.
Featured: H. Hogan "Choosing the Right Aids Direct-Write Multiphoton Photolithography" Photonic Spectra (Technology News), 2008 (January), 24-26.
31. A. Xie, T. Ito and D. A. Higgins "Fabrication and Characterization of Polymer/Liquid-Crystal Composite Diffractive Optics by Multiphoton Methods" Adv. Funct. Mater. 2007, 17, 1515-1522.
30. T. Ito, A. A. Audi, G. P. Dible "Electrochemical Characterization of Recessed Nanodisk-Array Electrodes Prepared from Track-Etched Membranes" Anal. Chem. 2006, 78, 7048-7053.
29. D. A. Higgins, T. A. Everett, A. Xie, S. M. Forman, T. Ito "High-Resolution Direct-Write Multiphoton Photolithography in Poly(methylmethacrylate) Films" Appl. Phys. Lett. 2006, 88, 184101. [Selected for the June 2006 issue of Virtual Journal of Ultrafast Science.]
28. T. Nishino, T. Ito, Y. Umezawa "A Fullerene Molecular Tip Can Detect Localized and Rectified Electron Tunneling within a Single Fullerene-Porphyrin Pair", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 2005, 102, 5659-5662.
27. T. Ito, L. Sun, R. R. Henriquez, R. M. Crooks "A Carbon Nanotube-Based Coulter Nanoparticle Counter", Acc. Chem. Res. 2004, 37, 937-945. [Correction: Acc. Chem. Res. 2005, 38, 687.]
26. T. Ito, L. Sun, M. A. Bevan, R. M. Crooks "Comparison of Nanoparticle Size and Electrophoretic Mobility Measurements using a Carbon Nanotube-Based Coulter Counter, Dynamic Light Scattering, Transmission Electron Microscopy, and Phase Analysis Light Scattering", Langmuir, 2004, 20, 6940-6945.
25. T. Ito "Development of New Analytical Methodologies Based on Molecule/Particle Recognitions at Surfaces, Interfaces, and Carbon Nanotube Channels" (Japanese account) Bunseki Kagaku, 2004, 53, 657-676.
24. R. R. Henriquez, T. Ito, Li Sun, R. M. Crooks "The Resurgence of Coulter Counting as a Nanoscale Analytical Method" Analyst, 2004, 129, 478-482.
23. J. Dai, T. Ito, L. Sun, R. M. Crooks "Electrokinetic Trapping and Concentration Enrichment of DNA in a Microfluidic Channel" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2003, 125, 13026-13027.
22. Y. Umezawa, T. Ito "Chemically Modified Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Tips for Molecular Imaging" (Account) Electrochemistry, 2003, 71, 522-529.
21. T. Nishino, T. Ito, Y. Umezawa "Selective Observation of Hydroxy and Carboxylate Moieties by Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Using Chemically Modified Tips with Differing Extent of Hydrogen Bond Acidity or Basicity" J. Electroanal. Chem. 2003, 150-151, 125-129.
20. T. Ito, L. Sun, R. M. Crooks "Observation of DNA Transport through a Single Carbon Nanotube Channel Using Fluorescence Microscopy" Chem. Commun. 2003, 1482-1483.
19. T. Ito, L. Sun, R. M. Crooks "Simultaneous Determination of Size and Surface Charge of Individual Nanoparticles Using a Carbon Nanotube Coulter Counter" Anal. Chem. 2003, 75, 2399-2406.
18. T. Ito, L. Sun, R. M. Crooks "Electrochemical Etching of Individual Multiwall Carbon Nanotubes" Electrochemical Solid-State Lett. 2003, 6, C4-C7.
17. T. Nishino, T. Ito, Y. Umezawa "Carbon Nanotube STM Tips for Chemically Selective Imaging" Anal. Chem. 2002, 74, 4275-4278.
16. T. Ito, C. Goto "Ion-Selective Solvent Polymeric Membrane Electrodes Based on 1-Phenyl-3-Methyl-4-Acyl-5-Pyrazolones for Trivalent Lanthanoid Ions" J. Trace and Microprobe Techniques, 2001, 19, 601-613.
15. T. Ito, C. Goto, K. Noguchi "Lanthanoid Ion-Selective Solvent Polymeric Membrane Electrode Based on 1-Phenyl-3-Methyl-4-Octadecanoyl-5-Pyrazolone" Anal. Chim. Acta, 2001, 443, 41-51. (Erratum to this paper: Anal. Chim. Acta2002, 456, 326.)
14. T. Nishino, P. Bühlmann, T. Ito, Y. Umezawa "Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Using Chemically Modified Tips: Orientation Selective Observation of Ether Oxygens" Surf. Sci. 2001, 490, L579-L584.
13. T. Ito, Y. Hasegawa "Some Considerations on Synergistic Extraction Behavior of Rare Earths(III) with Pivaloyltrifluoroacetone and Neutral Bidentate Ligands" Solvent Extr. Res. Dev. Jpn. 2001, 8, 47-62.
12. T. Ito "Uphill transport of lanthanoid (III) ions through supported liquid membranes based on ß-diketone and Lewis bases" (Japanese) Bunseki Kagaku, 2001, 50, 301-308.
11. T. Nishino, P. Bühlmann, T. Ito, Y. Umezawa "Discrimination of Functional Groups with Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Using Chemically Modified Tips: Recognition of Ether Oxygens through Hydrogen Bond Interactions" Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2001, 3, 1867-1869.
10. T. Ohshiro, T. Ito, P. Bühlmann, Y. Umezawa "Scanning Tunneling Microscopy with Chemically Modified Tips: Discrimination of Porphyrin Centers Based on Metal-Coordination and Hydrogen Bond Interactions" Anal. Chem. 2001, 73, 878–883.
9. T. Ito "Ion-Channel-Mimetic Sensor for Trivalent Cations Based on Self-Assembled Monolayers of Thiol-Derivatized 4-Acyl-5-Pyrazolones on Gold" J. Electroanal. Chem. 2001, 495, 87-97.
8. T. Ito, P. Bühlmann, Y. Umezawa, "Polypyrrole-Modified Tips for Functional Group Recognition in Scanning Tunneling Microscopy" Anal. Chem. 1999, 71, 1699–1705.
7. T. Ito, D. Citterio, P. Bühlmann, Y. Umezawa, "Observation of Silver and Hydrogen Ion Binding to Self-Assembled Monolayers with Chemically Modified AFM Tips" Langmuir, 1999, 15, 2788–2793.
6. K. Odashima, T. Ito, K. Tohda, Y. Umezawa, "A Systematic Study on the Complexation of Quaternary Ammonium Salts and Neutral Phenols" Chem. Pharm. Bull.1998, 46, 1248–1253.
5. T. Ito, H. Radecka, K. Tohda, K. Odashima, Y. Umezawa, "On the Mechanism of Unexpected Potentiometric Response to Neutral Phenols by Liquid Membranes Based on Quaternary Ammonium Salts – Systematic Experimental and Theoretical Approaches" J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1998120, 3049–3059.
4. T. Ito, H. Radecka, K. Umezawa, T. Kimura, A. Yashiro, X. M. Lin, M. Kataoka, E. Kimura, J. L. Sessler, K. Odashima, Y. Umezawa, "A Variety of Lipophilic Amines Incorporated in Liquid Membranes Exhibit Potentiometric Responses to Neutral Phenols" Anal. Sci. 1998, 14, 89-98.
3. T. Ito, P. Bühlmann, Y. Umezawa, "Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Using Chemically Modified Tips" Anal. Chem.1998, 70, 255–259.
2. T. Ito, M. Namba, P. Bühlmann, Y. Umezawa, "Modification of Silicon Nitride Tips with Trichlorosilane Self-Assembled Monolayers (SAMs) for Chemical Force Microscopy" Langmuir, 1997, 13, 4323–4332.
1. H. Sato, M. Wakabayashi, T. Ito, M. Sugawara, Y. Umezawa, "Potentiometric Responses of Ionophore-Incorporated Bilayer Lipid Membranes with and without Added Anionic Sites" Anal. Sci. 1997, 13, 437–446.
Reviews/Accounts/Proceedings (Slightly- or Non-Peer-Reviewed Publications)
7. S. Ibrahim, S. Nagasaka, D. S. Moore, D. A. Higgins, T. Ito "Conductance and Flux Measurements on Capillary-Incorporated Nanoporous Monoliths", submitted to ECS Transaction (October 26, 2011).
6. T. Ito, D. M. N. T. Perera "Analytical Applications of Block Copolymer-Derived Nanoporous Membranes" In Trace Analysis with Nanomaterials, D. T. Pierce, Zao, J. X., Eds.; Wiley-VCH: Weinheim, 2010, 341-358.
5. T. Ito "Separation and Detection Methods Based on Nanoscale Mass Transport through a Carbon Nanotube" (Japanese review) Bunseki,
4. T. Ito, S. M. Forman, C. Cao, C. R. Eddy, Jr., M.A. Mastro, R.T. Holm, R.L. Henry, K. Hohn, J. H. Edgar "Monolayer Formation on GaN Surface via Self-Assembly" ECS Transactions, 2007, 11, 97-101.
3. T. Ito "Atomic Force Microscopy and Scanning Tunneling Microscopy with Chemically Modified Tips" (Japanese review) Bunseki, 2005 (January) 23-29.
2. T. Ito, Y. Umezawa "Scanning Tunneling Microscopy with Chemically Modified Tips" Rev. Anal. Chem. 2000, 19, 331–359.
1. Y. Umezawa, M. Sugawara, K. Tohda, P. Buhlmann, Y. Tani, S. Nishizawa, S. Amemiya, T. Ito, N. Kimura "Chemical Sensors 1993/1994 - Ion Sensors" (Japanese review) Chemical Sensors, 1994, 10, 46-60.
3. T. Ito "Chemically Modified Tips for Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) and Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (STM)" in Frontiers in Methods of Analysis –Fundamentals and Applications to Nano and Biotechnology– (Japanese handbook), Y. Umezawa, T. Sawada, and S. Terabe, Eds., NTS Inc., Tokyo, Japan, 2004, 289-297.
2. Y. Umezawa, T. Ito "Scanning Probe Microscopy (SPM)" in Data Book on Analytical Chemistry (Japanese handbook), Japan Society of Analytical Chemistry, Eds., Maruzen, Tokyo, Japan, 2004 (September), pp 177-178.
1. T. Ito "Scanning Probe Microscopy (STM, AFM, SECM)" in Experiments in Instrumental Analysis (Japanese textbook), Y. Umezawa, S. Motomizu, H. Watarai and N. Teramae, Eds., Tokyo Kagaku Dojin, Tokyo, Japan, 2002 (March), pp 260-274, 280-282.