The Committee's mission is to promote and support diversity in the College and reach out to other groups on campus to have a university-wide inclusive campus. Toward this end, the committee has drafted a Diversity Action Plan, currently under implementation, that contains six core short- and long term goals.
Goals of the Diversity Committee
1. Improving the university climate: Implementing strategies to strengthen an inclusive and rich multicultural climate and provide education and awareness on the benefits of diversity across the College.
2. Obtaining grants and fundraising: Fundraising and securing grants for multicultural initiatives to have an intellectually and socially stimulating diverse environment.
3. Recruitment and retention of under-represented students: Recruitment and retention of students through a supportive and inclusive environment that will include structured mentoring and tutoring, opportunities for fellowships, and other support programs.
4. Diversity curriculum enhancement and transformation: Expand the development and support of multicultural academic and curriculum initiatives.
5. Recruitment and retention of under-represented faculty and staff: Recruitment and retention of faculty and staff, through mentoring, by supporting and advising hiring search committees, and by creating faculty and staff development initiatives.
6. Communication and awareness on diversity issues: Establishing communication links between faculty, staff and students to disseminate information pertinent to diversity opportunities and its benefits.