Getting to know your interests, abilities, and values is the first step in deciding on a major or career path. Taking a career assessment is one way to begin the exploring process. The Career Center offers two free career assessments:
- FOCUS 2 is an online, interactive education and career planning system that combines self assessment, major and career exploration, and decision making into one comprehensive program. FOCUS 2 will help you clarify your skills, interests, and professional goals so you will be better equipped to identify potential majors and minors, to create an academic plan, and to map out a basic career path.
- Focus 2 Career Planning Workbook – Be proactive with your career planning! This workbook is a helpful tool to use with your FOCUS 2 results in the career decision making process. In order for you to know what steps to take now and have goals for the future, it is important to create an action plan.
- Stop by the Career Center in the Berney Family Welcome Center to meet with a career specialist and start exploring!
Self-Directed Search (SDS)
- Whether you are looking for a college major, beginning a job search, or thinking about a career change, the SDS will provide valuable career information. This assessment helps tie your personal work preferences to corresponding work environments.
- Stop by the Career Center in the Berney Family Welcome Center to meet with a career specialist and take the free Self-Directed Search, or take it online now. Please note — when you take the assessment online, you will be allowed to answer questions, but a fee will be required to obtain your results.
Connecting K-State majors to the World-of-Work Map
The World-of-Work Map is a helpful tool to help you understand more about yourself as well as how occupations might be a good fit for you. The map organizes hundreds of careers into smaller groups that are organized around four compass points: People, Data, Things, and Ideas. These compass points are primary work tasks that exist in most jobs. As you identify the types of work tasks you enjoy most, it can guide you to potential career possibilities.
- Explore ACT’s World-of-Work Map to consider potential careers and corresponding majors.
- See a list of K-State majors organized by the World-of-Work Map.
Additional assessment resources
- Counseling Services also offers additional assessments for a fee. Check with their office for more details.