Media and Communications Meet-Up
Thursday, March 8, 2018
Berney Family Welcome Center - South Door
This free networking event is intended to bring employers and students together to facilitate connections in the advertising, journalism and public relations fields.
Information for Students
Who Should Attend
- Any student interested in opportunities in advertising, journalism and public relations (full-time, part-time or internships).
- Undergraduate or graduate students welcome from any major.
What to Bring
- Copies of your resume. Update your resume with the Career Center Resume Guide.
- Business cards (if you have them – not required). Order some from the K-State's printing services.
- Notepad or padfolio.
- Business casual dress is preferred for this event.
- Search employers attending through your Handshake account.
- Practice your 30-second introduction (p. 51).
- Practice approaching a friend, classmate or faculty member, shaking hands, making eye contact, smiling and introducing yourself. Be confident in approaching representatives in the same manner.
Prepare questions you can ask.
Show the representative you have done some research. Examples include:
- How did you get started in this industry?
- What recommendations do you have for a recent graduate entering the your sector? (targeted toward specific industry)
- What types of careers are available at your organization?
- What does a typical day look like?
- Would there be training for ___ position?
- How would you describe your company's culture?
- What are the top three things you spend your time doing in this role?
- Can you think of 1-2 people you would recommend I talk to?
- What are some next steps?
It is appropriate to gather business cards and thank the contacts you met. Handwritten notes are best, but emails will do. Remember to send promptly.
You can ask a representative if you could add them on LinkedIn following the event.
Parking is on your own. It is not recommended to park in the Alumni Association lots as they will ticket.
Information for Employers
Employers in advertising, journalism and public relations are welcome to register. The meet-up is limited to the first 25 organizations who complete the registration. Registration is free. The event space has high-top tables, but no booth space will be available.
- Register through your employer Handshake account:
- Set up Handshake account and connect to K-State (additional information and screenshots).
- Once you have an account and are connected, click on "Fairs."
- In the search box type, "2018 Media and Communications Career Meet-Up."
- Click "2018 Media and Communications Career Meet-Up."
- Complete the short registration
- IMPORTANT: For the payment method, you'll want to select MANUAL. This will allow you to complete the registration. We will not be billing you for this FREE event.
- Business cards and/or smaller brochures.
Available in the parking garage at 17th and Anderson (706 N. 17th St. Manhattan, KS 66506)
- Pull a ticket to get in. We will provide a validation ticket to get out.
Any questions about the event or registration can be directed to Ashley Motley.