Health Career Meet-Up
Thursday, October 26, 2017
Berney Family Welcome Center - South Door
5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
This free networking event is intended to bring employers and students together to facilitate connections in the health, fitness and wellness fields. Some students may be seeking opportunities to enhance their medical or graduate school applications, while others are seeking alternative careers in medicine or wellness. The meet-up is limited to the first 25 organizations who complete the registration. The event space has high-top tables, but no booth space will be available.
Information for Students
Who Should Attend
- Any student interested in opportunities in health, fitness or wellness (full-time, part-time or internships).
- Students wanting to learn about different careers in health. Undergraduate or graduate students are welcome from any major.
What to Bring
- Copies of your resume. Update your resume with the Career Center Resume Guide.
- Business cards (if you have them – not required). Order some from the K-State's printing services.
- Notepad or padfolio.
- Business casual dress is preferred for this event.
- Practice your 30-second introduction (p. 52).
- Practice approaching a friend, classmate or faculty member, shaking hands, making eye contact, smiling and introducing yourself. Be confident in approaching representatives in the same manner.
Prepare questions you can ask.
Show the representative you have done some research. Examples include:
- I noticed on your website that your organization is located in McPherson, KS are you from that location?
- How did you get started in this industry?
- What recommendations do you have for a recent graduate entering pharmaceuticals? (targeted toward specific industry)
- What types of careers are available at your organization?
- What does a typical day look like?
- Would there be training for ___ position?
- What suggestions do you have for me as I start a job search in pharmaceuticals? (industry specific)
- Can you describe your company's culture?
- What are the top three things you spend your time doing in this role?
- Can you think of 1-2 people you would recommend I talk to?
- What are some next steps?
It is appropriate to gather business cards and thank the contacts you met. Handwritten notes are best, but emails will do. Remember to send promptly.
You can ask a representative if you could add them on LinkedIn following the event.
Parking is on your own. It is not recommended to park in the Alumni Association lots as they will ticket.
Information for Employers
- Login to Handshake or create an account with your company email
- Select "Fairs" from the menu
- In the search box, type "Kansas State Health Career Meet-Up"
- Complete the short registration. IMPORTANT: Select the "Manual" payment option. This event is free. You will not be charged.
- Business cards and/or smaller brochures.
Available in the parking garage at 17th and Anderson (706 N. 17th St. Manhattan, KS 66506)
- Pull a ticket to get in. We will provide a validation ticket to get out.
Any questions about the event or registration can be directed to Dana Nordyke.