1. K-State home
  2. »CARE
  3. »It's On Us
  4. »Get more information
  5. »Know Your Rights

Center for Advocacy, Response and Education

Schedule an appointment

To get more information or talk to a confidential advocate.

It's On Us

Center for Advocacy, Response and Education
Kansas State University
206 Holton Hall
1101 Mid-Campus Drive North
Manhattan, KS 66506 


785-532-6457 fax

Know Your Rights

Any individual who has experienced sexual violence has rights and options.

Title IX

Title IX prohibits discrimination, exclusion, denial, limitation, or separation based on gender in educational programs or activities. Title IX is not just for athletes- it protects all students and can apply to employees, too. Title IX protects, whether the harassment is aimed at gay or lesbian sexual orientation, or is perpetrated by individuals of the same or opposite sex.

“No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participating in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” Title IX of The Education Amendments of 1972, 20 U.S.C. §§ 1681 – 1688

Under Title IX the university has an obligation to maintain academic, housing, and work environments free of discrimination and harassment- including sexual harassment and sexual violence.

Learn more about K-State’s Policy Prohibiting Discrimination, Harassment, Sexual Violence, and Stalking.

Survivor's Options

As a student who has experienced sexual violence you have the right to:

  • You have a right to an educational environment free of sexual harassment and retaliation
  • You have the right to report to the university if you have experienced sexual, dating or domestic violence, stalking or sexual harassment through the Office of Institutional Equity
  • You have options for interim housing and academic measures
  • You may seek to counseling and support
  • You may report to the police
  • You have the option to not participate in the university investigation 
  • You have the right to a support person throughout a university investigative process under PPM 3010
  • You have the right to preserve physical evidence of an assault through a sexual assault forensic exam, free of charge and with or without reporting to law enforcement
  • You have the right to apply for Crime Victims Compensation through the Kansas Attorney General
  • You have the right to appeal a determination or sanction of a report investigated by the university through PPM 3010
  • You may seek legal advice
  • You may access a grievance process through the Office of Civil Rights

Learn more