Recent Department Achievements
- Larry Davis - Book Chapter
Hudek, Kelly, Lawrence C. Davis, Jwan Ibbini, and Larry Erickson. 2014. "Commercial Products from Algae," In Algal Biorefineries. Volume 1. Cultivation of Cells and Products, Springer, pp 275-295.
- Anna Zolkiewska, Hui Li (research associate), and Sara Duhachek Muggy (graduate student) had the publication “Metalloproteinase-disintegrin ADAM12 is associated with a breast tumor-initiating cell phenotype” in Breast Cancer Research and Treatment featured on MDLinx, Medical News and Information website on June 21, 2013.
- Anna Zolkiewska has received a four-year $1.245 million grant from the National Cancer Institute -- at the National Institutes of Health -- to study a promising breast cancer marker called ADAM12. The grant is titled "ADAM12 in breast tumor initiating cells." Press Release
- John Tomich had Science Daily publish an article from Communications and Marketing, “Newly Discovered Molecule Could Deliver Drugs to Treat Diseases,” on Tomich's research.
Student Awards and Scholarships
- Obdulia Covarrubias (undergraduate, Tomich) named a 2013 McNair Scholar and member of Mortar Board, national senior honor society.
- Jenny Barriga (undergraduate, Bossman) awarded a 2013 Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship.
- Prashant Wani (graduate, Roelofs) 1st place in the Biological Sciences division poster competition for his presentation of "Chaperone mediated assembly of Proteasome: Constructing the destruction", at the 2013 K-State Research Forum on March 27.
- Sarah Duhachek-Muggy (graduate, Zokiewska) 1st place for her poster presentation, "An essential role of metalloprotease-disintegrin ADAM12 in triple-negative breast cancer", during the 2012 University of Kansas Cancer Center Research Symposium held at KUMC on November 8, 2012. Collaborators: Hui Li, Yue Qi, and Anna Zolkiewska
- Adriana Avila Flores (graduate, Tomich) and Yue Qi (graduate, Zolkiewska) received the 2011-2012 Excellence in Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics Graduate Teaching Award from the department.
- Xiangming Li (graduate, Wangemann) received the 2011-2012 Excellence in Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics Graduate Research Award from the department.
- John Tomich gave an invited seminar, “Bending Nature’s Rules of Assembly to Build New and Different Structures from the Same Peptide Sequence: FLIVIGSII”, at Washington University Medical School, St. Louis, MO on October 7, 2013.
- Xiangming Li (graduate, Wangemann) presented her Ph.D. defense, "Restoring Hearing and Balance in a Mouse Model of SLc26a4-Related Deafness", on October 11, 2013
- Michael Kanost gave an invited lecture, “Biochemistry of Blue Blood: Hemolymph proteins that regulate immune responses in Manduca sexta”, at the Department of Entomology, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX on October 17, 2013.
- John Tomich gave a talk at the Terry Johnson Cancer Center Advisory Board “A Novel Peptide-Based Drug Delivery System” October 25, 2013.
- Timothy Durrett gave an invited seminar, "Characterization of a membrane bound O-acyltransferase (MBOAT) with unusual substrate specificity", at the Department of Chemistry, Wichita State University on October 28, 2013.
- John Tomich gave an invited seminar, “Lipid-like peptide nano-capsules”, in the Department of Chemical Engineering, Kansas State Universtiy on October 30, 2013.
- Michael Kanost presented an invited symposium lecture, “Regulation of hemolymph protease cascades in the immune system of Manduca sexta”, at the 46th Annual Meeting of the Society for Invertebrate Pathology, Conference on Invertebrate Pathology and Microbial Control on August 12, 2013 in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Jianhan Chen presented an invited seminar, “The orderly chaos of proteins”, at the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware on September 20, 2013.
- Phillip Klebba presented a seminar at Wichita State University Dept. of Chemistry entitled "Active iron transport through an unenergized membrane," on Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2013.
- Wenjing Wang (graduate, Kanost) presented her M.S. defense, “Expression of recombinant Manduca sexta prophenoloxidase activating proteinase-1 in Bacillus subtilis”, on August 2, 2013
- Zhen Li (graduate, Kanost) presented his M.S. defense, “Investigation in Tribolium castaneum resilin, a rubber-like insect cuticular protein”, on August 7, 2013.
- Fabrice Ngonsop (graduate, Zolkiewski) presented his M.S. defense, “Biochemical characterization of a plasmodium falciparum ClpB homologue PfClpB1 localized to the apicoplast”, on August 13, 2013.
Research and Exhibitions
- Sara Duhachek-Muggy and Anna Zolkiewska presented a poster, "Metalloprotease-disintegrin ADAM12-L in breast cancer cells: Regulation of expression by microRNA-200b/c", at the annual meeting on "Advances in Breast Cancer Research: Genetics, Biology, and Clinical Applications", October 3-6, 2013, The Manchester Grand Hyatt, San Diego, CA.
- Sunil Bansal, Tam Tran-Nguyen and Timothy Durrett presented a poster, "Understanding the Unusual Substrate Specificity of a Novel Acyltransferase that Synthesizes Low Viscosity Oil", at the Kansas NSF EPSCoR conference, October 7-8, 2013, Lawrence, KS.
Rohit Kamat presented a poster, 'Peroxide and Mediator: Essential Factors for 'Rapid' Decolorization of Synthetic Dyes by Plants' at "Plant Biology 2013"- The Annual Meeting Of The American Society Of Plant Biologists (ASPB) in Providence, Rhode Island from July 20-24, 2013.
- Gorman, M.J. Lang, M., Braun, C.L., Brummett, L.M., Dittmer, N.T., and Kanost, M.R. (2013). "A comparison of multicopper oxidase-1 orthologs from diverse insect species." A poster presented at the Arthropod Genomics Symposium, June 14-15, 2013, Notre Dame University, South Bend, IN.
- Dittmer, N., Rodriguez, L., Hiromasa, Y., Tomich, J., and Kanost, M.R. (2013) "Proteomic analysis of pharate pupal molting fluid from the tobacco hornworm, Manduca sexta." A poster presented at the Arthropod Genomics Symposium, June 14-15, 2013, Notre Dame University, South Bend, IN.
- Sally Newton presented a poster, “Evidence against Ball-and-Chain Mechanism of Transport in FepA”, at the Gordon Research Conference on Mechanisms of Membrane Transport at Mt. Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA, June 16-21.
- Bukovnik, U., Sala-Rabanal, M. Francis, S., Frazier SJ,., Schultz, B.D., Nichols, C. G., Tomich JM (2013) Effect of Diaminopropionic acid (Dap) on the Biophysical Properties of a Modified Synthetic Channel-Forming Peptide. Mol Pharm. 10(10):3959-3966. PMID: 24010543.
- Lim S, Xu J, Kim J, Chen TY, Su X, Standard J, Carey E, Griffin J, Herndon B, Katz B, Tomich J, Wang W. Role of anthocyanin-enriched purple-fleshed sweet potato p40 in colorectal cancer prevention.Mol Nutr Food Res. 2013 Jun 19. doi:10.1002/mnfr. 201300040. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23784800 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Ngansop, F., Li, H., Zolkiewska, A., Zolkiewski, M.,"Biochemical characterization of the apicoplast-targeted AAA+ ATPase ClpB from Plasmodium falciparum", Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm., doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2013.08.064.
- Li, H., Duhachek Muggy, S., Dubnicka, S., and Zolkiewska, A. (2013) Metalloproteinase-disintegrin ADAM12 is associated with a breast tumor-initiating cell phenotype. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment doi 10.1007/s10549-013-2602-2.
- W. Zhang and J. Chen (2013), Efficiency of adaptive temperature-based replica exchange for sampling large-scale protein conformational transitions, J. Chem. Theory Comput. 9, 2849-2856.
- Jordan, L.D., Zhou, Y, Smallwood, C.R., Lill, Y, Ritchie,K., Yip, W, Newton, S.M., Klebba, P.E. (2013) Energy-dependent motion of TonB in the Gram-negative bacterial inner membrane. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Jun 24. PMID: 23798405
- Suwanchaichinda, C., Ochieng, R., Zhuang, S., and Kanost, M.R. (2013) Manduca sexta serpin-7, a putative regulator of hemolymph prophenoloxidase activation.Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 43:555-561.
- Zhang, T., Kedzierska-Mieszkowska, S., Liu, H., Cheng, C., Ganta, R. R. and Zolkiewski, M. (2013) Aggregate-reactivation activity of the molecular chaperone ClpB from Ehrlichia chaffeensis”, PLoS ONE 8(5): e62454
- Park, S., Li, X., Kim, H. M., Singh, C. R., Tian, G., Hoyt, M. A., Lovell, S., Battaile, K. P., Zolkiewski, M., Coffino, P., Roelofs, J., Cheng, Y., and Finley, D. (2013) Reconfiguration of the proteasome during chaperone-mediated assembly, Nature 497, 512–516.
Rohit Kamat (graduate, Davis) received the Hageman Graduate Student Travel Scholarship to present his poster, “Peroxide and Mediator: Essential Factors for 'Rapid' Decolorization of Synthetic Dyes by Plants” at "Plant Biology 2013"- The Annual Meeting Of The American Society Of Plant Biologists (ASPB) in Providence, Rhode Island from July 20-24, 2013.
- Luz Adriana Avila Flores (graduate, Tomich) received the Hageman Graduate Student Travel Scholarship to present an oral presentation "Complexes Formed Using a Range of Peptide-DNA Ratios Fold into Varied Structures with Different Transfection Efficiencies" at Bio_Interfaces Conference in Medellin, Columbia on June 4-8, 2013.
- Sara Duhachek Muggy (graduate, Zolkiewska) received the Johnson Center for Basic Cancer Research, University of Kansas Cancer Center, and Hageman Graduate Travel Scholarship awards for travel to the Gordon Research Conference on "Matrix Metalloproteinases" in Lucca (Barga), Italy from May 19-24 to present her poster "Alternative mRNA splicing in the region corresponding to the pro-domain of ADAM12-L generates two protein isoforms with distinct properties and intracellular localization".