Recent Department Achievements
- Larry Davis and Neal Dittmer received awards at the Developing Scholars Symposium for outstanding faculty mentors, April 13, 2014.
- John Tomich received university recognition (4/2/14) and was featured in the Johnson Cancer Research Center's annual Conquest Magazine for his research recently appearing in the scientific journal Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, "Branched Amphiphilic Peptide Capsules: Cellular Uptake and Retention of Encapsulated Solutes."
- Timothy Durrett received university recognition (2/27/14) for his research recently appearing in the journal Nature Communications, "A plant factory for moth pheromone production."
- Anna Zolkiewska has been promoted to Professor, effective June 2014.
- Larry Davis - Book Chapter
Hudek, Kelly, Lawrence C. Davis, Jwan Ibbini, and Larry Erickson. 2014. "Commercial Products from Algae," In Algal Biorefineries. Volume 1. Cultivation of Cells and Products, Springer, pp 275-295.
- Anna Zolkiewska, Hui Li (research associate), and Sara Duhachek Muggy (graduate student) had the publication “Metalloproteinase-disintegrin ADAM12 is associated with a breast tumor-initiating cell phenotype” in Breast Cancer Research and Treatment featured on MDLinx, Medical News and Information website on June 21, 2013.
- Anna Zolkiewska has received a four-year $1.245 million grant from the National Cancer Institute -- at the National Institutes of Health -- to study a promising breast cancer marker called ADAM12. The grant is titled "ADAM12 in breast tumor initiating cells." Press Release
Student Awards and Scholarships
- Gillian Long was selected for 2014-2015 Mortar Board National Senior Honor Society, K-State chapter.
- Thuy Cao (undergraduate, Kanost) was nominated for the 2014 Goldwater Scholarship.
- Obdulia Covarrubias Zambrano (undrergraduate, Rotenberg) received second place on her undergraduate student poster presentation at the K-State Research Forum March 26, 2014.
- James Balthazor (graduate, Reeck) received the 2012-2013 Excellence in Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics Graduate Teaching Award from the department.
- Elizabeth Ploetz (2010 BS/MS graduate) Chosen to participate in the 63rd Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting in Lindau, Germany, June 30 to July 5, 2013. Press Release
- Obdulia Covarrubias (undergraduate, Tomich) named a 2013 McNair Scholar and member of Mortar Board, national senior honor society. Press Release
- Xiangming Li (graduate, Wangemann) received the 2011-2012 Excellence in Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics Graduate Research Award from the department.
Fall 2013 K-State Johnson Cancer Center Undergraduate Cancer Research Awards
BMB undergraduate unless otherwise noted.
- Susan Whitaker (Tomich) Tuning of a peptide capsule based system for timed drug delivery
- Macy Garcia (Tomich) Alternative transfection protocol for anti-cancer vaccine vector against HPV-16
- Jonathan Bernard (Biology, Tomich) Directed mutagenesis of Brevibacterium linens for the increased production of fermentation derived B-Cryptoxanthin
- Michael Mohan (Chen) Effects of T-ALL mutations on mechanical activation of human NOTCH1 protein
- Jamilah Watkins (Life Sciences, Kanost) Biochemical characterization of a serine protease inhibitor from the Kunitz family
- Thuy Cao (Kanost) Structure and function of a metalloprotease with a potential role in degrading an extracellular matrix
- Leiming Tang (Asano) Control of translation initiation stringency by elF5-mimic protein (5MP) during tumorigenesis
- Cody Simmons (Clem) Characterizing expression of a growth factor gene and evaluating its potential role in virus infection
- Jenny Barriga (Bossmann) Using non-pathogenic bacteria to deliver chemotherapeutic drugs to tumors
- Madison Caywood (Bossmann) Measuring fluorescence levels of protease activity with different serum samples to find cancer progression markers in hopes of developing a new detection method for breast cancer
- Rohit Babli Kamat presented his Ph.D. defense, "Phytoremediation for synthetic dye decolorization." on April 3, 2014.
- Timothy Durrett, “From Burning Bushes to Chocolate Vines: Using Sequence Diversity to Explore MBOAT Substrate Specificity.” Presentation to the Biochemistry Department at the University of Missouri, March 7, 2014.
- Zongheng Wang, Nicole Green, (graduate, E. Geisbrecht), Ze Liu, Catherine Rabouille, presented a platform presentation, “Clueless/dGRASP dependent unconventional protein secretion differentiates the delivery of αPS2 integrin from that of βPS integrin in the Drosophila muscle” at the GSA Drosophila Annual Conference in San Diego, CA, March 28, 2014.
- Jianhan Chen co-chaired the 8th Intrinsically Disordered Protein Annual Symposium at the Biophysical Society 58th Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA, February 14-19.
- John Tomich, Sukthankar, P. Whitaker, S.K., Avila, L.A., Gao, J., Dadachova, E.. Peptide Nano-capsules with Lipid Vesicle-like Characteristics. Biophysical Society 58st Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA, February 15-19.
- Pinakin Sukthankar presented his Ph.D. defense, "Biophysical Characterization of Branched Amphiphilic Peptide Capsules and their Potential Applications in Radiotherapy" on February 25, 2014.
- Chris Miller presented his PhD defense, “Biochemical Studies of Prolamins from Sorghum and Wheat”, on November 6, 2013.
- Meera Kumari (grad, Muthukrishnan) presented a talk, “The search for the target of the chitin inhibitor, dilfubenzuron (DFB) in the red flour beetle”, at the Entomoligical Society of America 2013 Annual Meeting on November 11, 2013 in Austin, TX.
- Om Prakash presented an invited talk, “Structure informs on function: A Tale of Norovirus Proteaseat”, the 69th Southwest Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society on November 17, 2013 in Waco, TX.
- John Tomich gave an invited seminar, “Bending Nature’s Rules of Assembly to Build New and Different Structures from the Same Peptide Sequence: FLIVIGSII”, at Washington University Medical School, St. Louis, MO on October 7, 2013.
- Xiangming Li (graduate, Wangemann) presented her Ph.D. defense, "Restoring Hearing and Balance in a Mouse Model of SLc26a4-Related Deafness", on October 11, 2013
- Michael Kanost gave an invited lecture, “Biochemistry of Blue Blood: Hemolymph proteins that regulate immune responses in Manduca sexta”, at the Department of Entomology, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX on October 17, 2013.
- John Tomich gave a talk at the Terry Johnson Cancer Center Advisory Board “A Novel Peptide-Based Drug Delivery System” October 25, 2013.
- Timothy Durrett gave an invited seminar, "Characterization of a membrane bound O-acyltransferase (MBOAT) with unusual substrate specificity", at the Department of Chemistry, Wichita State University on October 28, 2013.
- John Tomich gave an invited seminar, “Lipid-like peptide nano-capsules”, in the Department of Chemical Engineering, Kansas State Universtiy on October 30, 2013.
- Michael Kanost presented an invited symposium lecture, “Regulation of hemolymph protease cascades in the immune system of Manduca sexta”, at the 46th Annual Meeting of the Society for Invertebrate Pathology, Conference on Invertebrate Pathology and Microbial Control on August 12, 2013 in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Jianhan Chen presented an invited seminar, “The orderly chaos of proteins”, at the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware on September 20, 2013.
- Phillip Klebba presented a seminar at Wichita State University Dept. of Chemistry entitled "Active iron transport through an unenergized membrane," on Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2013.
- Wenjing Wang (graduate, Kanost) presented her M.S. defense, “Expression of recombinant Manduca sexta prophenoloxidase activating proteinase-1 in Bacillus subtilis”, on August 2, 2013
- Zhen Li (graduate, Kanost) presented his M.S. defense, “Investigation in Tribolium castaneum resilin, a rubber-like insect cuticular protein”, on August 7, 2013.
- Fabrice Ngonsop (graduate, Zolkiewski) presented his M.S. defense, “Biochemical characterization of a plasmodium falciparum ClpB homologue PfClpB1 localized to the apicoplast”, on August 13, 2013.
Research and Exhibitions
- Daisuke Takahashi (postdoc, Kanost) gave a poster presentation, “Protein self-association of N-terminal domain of β-1,3-glucan recognition protein upon binding to β-1,3-glucan stimulates the prophenoloxidase activation in Manduca” at the 2014 Annual Meeting of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in San Diego, CA on April 25-30, 2014.
2014 K-State Developing Scholars 14th annual Research Poster Symposium
BMB undergraduate unless otherwise noted.
- Jenny Barriga (Chemistry and Biochemistry, Bossman) presented "Cell-Based Delivery of Chemotherapeutics and Antibiotics"
- Jonathan Bernard (Biology, Tomich) presented "The Extraction of Forskolin to Increase Cost Efficiency"
- Thuy Cao (Dittmer) presented "ACE-like Enzyme in Insect Molting Fluid"
- Thuan Daniel Quach (Weiss) presented "The Effect of Type of Collection Medium and Freezing Extender on Rat Sperm Cryosurvival Rate"
- Larry Rodriguez (Marshall) presented "The Chemistry of Sex Games: Why Do Male Crickets Transfer Large Amounts of Dopamine to Females During Copulation?"
- Jamilah B. Watkins (Life Sciences, Kanost) presented "Identification and Biochemical Characterization of a Kunitz-Type Serine Protease Inhibitor From an Insect, Manduca Sexta"
- Obdulia Covarrubias Zambrano (Rotenberg) presented "Investigating the Effects of Elevated Temperature on Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus Accumulation and Expression of Putative Heat-Shock Protein Genes in the Insect Vector, Frankliniella Occidentalis"
- Mauri Zumalt (Davis) presented "Degradation of Textile Dyes in Miscanthus Sinesis."
- Nicole Green (graduate, E. Geisbrecht), Nadia Odell, Clara Bazjek, Shufei Zhuang, Mitch Dushay, presented a poster, “Fondue and Tiggrin Interact at Muscle-Muscle Attachments”, at the GSA Drosophila Annual Conference in San Diego, CA, March 26-30, 2014.
- Bridget H. Biersmith (graduate, E. Geisbrecht) presented a poster, “Differential Roles of Dock Family Members in Development”, at the GSA Drosophila Annual Conference in San Diego, CA, March 27, 2014.
- Weihong Zhang (graduate, Chen) presented a poster, “Accelerate Sampling in Atomistic Energy Landscapes Using Topology-Based Coarse-Grained Models,” at the CCP-SAS Kickoff Workshop, NIST Center for Neutron Research, February 7-9.
- Weihong Zhang (graduate, Chen) presented a poster, “Accelerate Sampling in Atomistic Energy Landscapes Using Topology-based Coarse-grained Models,” at the Biophysical Society 58th Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA, February 14-19.
- Fabrice Ngansop, Hui Li, Anna Zolkiewska, and Michal Zolkiewski presented a poster, "Biochemical characterization of the apicoplast-targeted AAA+ATPase ClpB from Plasmodium falciparum," at the 19th Annual Midwest Stress Response and Molecular Chaperone Meeting, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL on January 18, 2014
- Jamilah Watkins, Daisuke Takahashi, Yasuaki Hiromasa, and Michael Kanost presented a poster, "Identification and Biochemical characterization of a Kunitz-type serine protease inhibitor from a insect, Manduca sexta," at the 12th Annual K-INBRE Symposium, Kansas City, MO, on January 17-19, 2014.
- Beibei Li (grad, Muthukrishnan) presented a poster, "Dynamic assembly of cuticular proteins into the elytral procuticle of Tribolium castaneum," at the 12th Annual K-INBRE Symposium, Kansas City, MO, on January
- Weihang Zhang and Jianhan Chen presented a poster, "Accelerate sampling in atomistic energy landscapes using topology-based coarse-grained models," GRC-Protein Folding and Dynamics, in Galveston, TX, on January 5-10, 2014.
- Yue Qi (grad, Zolkiewska) and Hui Li (postdoc, Zolkiewska) presented a poster, “Functional characterization of three novel breast cancer-related somatic mutations in metalloproteinase-disintegrin ADAM12,” at San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, in San Antonio, TX, December 10-14, 2013.
- Nicole Green (grad, E Geisbrecht) presented a poster, “Fondue and Tiggrin Interaction at Muscle-Muscle Attachments,” at the 2013 Midwest Drosophila Meeting in Monticello, Illinois on November 2-3, 2013.
- Beibei Li (grad, Muthukrishnan) presented a poster, “Dynamic assembly of cuticular proteins into the elypral procuticle of Tribolium castaneum," at the Entomoligical Society of America 2013 Annual Meeting on November 12, 2013 in Austin, TX.
- Sara Duhachek-Muggy and Anna Zolkiewska presented a poster, "Metalloprotease-disintegrin ADAM12-L in breast cancer cells: Regulation of expression by microRNA-200b/c", at the annual meeting on "Advances in Breast Cancer Research: Genetics, Biology, and Clinical Applications", October 3-6, 2013, The Manchester Grand Hyatt, San Diego, CA.
- Sunil Bansal, Tam Tran-Nguyen and Timothy Durrett presented a poster, "Understanding the Unusual Substrate Specificity of a Novel Acyltransferase that Synthesizes Low Viscosity Oil", at the Kansas NSF EPSCoR conference, October 7-8, 2013, Lawrence, KS.
- Qi, Y., Duhachek-Muggy, S., Li, H., and Zolkiewska, A. (2014). Phenotypic diversity of breast cancer-related mutations in metalloproteinase-disintegrin ADAM12.Plos One, 9(3):e92536
- W. Zhang and J. Chen, (2014). "Accelerate Sampling in Atomistic Energy Landscapes Using Topology-Based Coarse-Grained Models", J. Chem. Theory Comput.,10(3), pp 918–923
- Ding, B., Hofvander, P., Wang, H., Durrett, T.P., Stymne, S., and Löfstedt, C. (2014). A plant factory for moth pheromone production. Nature Communication 5:3353 DOI:10.1038/ncomms4353
- Sukthankar, P., Avila, L.A., Whitaker, S.K., Iwamoto, T., Morgenstern, A., Apostolidis, C., Liu, K., Hanzlik, R.P. Dadachova, E., Tomich, J.M. (2014). Branched Amphiphilic Peptide Capsules: Cellular Uptake and Retention of Encapsulated Solutes. Biochim, Biophys. Acta, Biomembranes Feb 22. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24565797.
- Chen, J., Tomich, J.M. (2014). Free Energy Analysis of Conductivity and Charge Selectivity of M2GlyR-Derived Synthetic Channels. Biochim, Biophys. Acta, Biomembranes Feb 27 [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24582709.
- Pidlisnyuk, V., Stefanovaska, T., Lewis, E.E., Erickson, L.E., and Davis, L.C. (2014), Miscanthus as a Productive Biofuel Crop for Phytoremediation. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 33:1, 1-19, DOI:10.1080/07352689.2014.847 616
- Takahashi, D., Kim, Y., Lovell, S., Prakash, O., Groutas, W., and Chang, K. (2013). Structural and inhibitor studies of norovirus 3C-like proteases. Virus Research: Vol. 178: 437-444 PubMed ID: 24055466
- Ganguly, D., Zhang, W., and Chen, J. (2013), Electrostatically Accelerated Encounter and Folding for Facile Recognition of Intrinsically Disordered Proteins.PLoS Comput. Biol. 9(11): e1003363. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003363 PMID: 24278008
- Bukovnik, U., Sala-Rabanal, M. Francis, S., Frazier S.J., Schultz, B.D., Nichols, C. G., Tomich J.M. (2013) Effect of Diaminopropionic acid (Dap) on the Biophysical Properties of a Modified Synthetic Channel-Forming Peptide.Mol Pharm. 10(10):3959-3966. PMID: 24010543
- Sukthankar, P., Gudlur, S., Avila, L.A., Whitaker, S., Katz, B.B., Hiromasa, Y., Gao, J., Thapa, P., Moore, D., Iwamoto, T., Chen, J., Tomich, J.M. (2013) Branched Oligopeptides Form Nano-Capsules with Lipid Vesicle CharacteristicsLangmuir 29:14648−14654. PMID: 24188529
- Bukovnik, U., Sala-Rabanal, M. Francis, S., Frazier SJ,., Schultz, B.D., Nichols, C. G., Tomich JM (2013) Effect of Diaminopropionic acid (Dap) on the Biophysical Properties of a Modified Synthetic Channel-Forming Peptide. Mol Pharm. 10(10):3959-3966. PMID: 24010543.
- Lim S, Xu J, Kim J, Chen TY, Su X, Standard J, Carey E, Griffin J, Herndon B, Katz B, Tomich J, Wang W. Role of anthocyanin-enriched purple-fleshed sweet potato p40 in colorectal cancer prevention.Mol Nutr Food Res. 2013 Jun 19. doi:10.1002/mnfr. 201300040. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23784800 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Daisuke Takahashi (postdoc, Kanost) received an ASBMB Postdoctoral and Graduate Travel Award to present a poster, “Protein self-association of N-terminal domain of β-1,3-glucan recognition protein upon binding to β-1,3-glucan stimulates the prophenoloxidase activation in Manduca”, at the 2014 Annual Meeting of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in San Diego, CA on April 25-30, 2014.
- Sara Duhachek-Muggy (graduate, A. Zolkiewska) received the Alvin and RosaLee Sarachek Predoctoral Honors Travel Award, 2014.
- Nicole Green (graduate, E. Geisbrecht) received the KSU College of Arts and Sciences Award and the Hageman Graduate Student Travel Award for a poster presentation, “Fondue and Tiggrin Interact at Muscle-Muscle Attachments”, at the GSA Drosophila Annual Conference in San Diego, CA, March 26-30, 2014.
- Weihong Zhang (graduate, Chen) received a Johnson Cancer Center Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Travel Award to present a poster at the Biophysical Society 58th Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA, February 15-18.
- Sara Duhachek Muggy (graduate, Zolkiewska) received a Graduate Student Council Travel Award to attend 2013 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium in December.
- Yue Qi (graduate, Zolkiewska) received a Graduate Student Council Travel Award to present a poster, “Functional characterization of three novel breast cancer-related somatic mutations in metalloproteinase-disintegrin ADAM12,” and attend 2013 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium in December.
- Prashant Wani (graduate, Roelofs) received a K-State Johnson Cancer Center Graduate Student Travel Award and a Hageman Graduate Student Travel Scholarship to present a poster, “The proteasome core particle chaperones Pba1 and Pba2 prevent the binding of the regulatory particle to immature core particles,” and attend the Keystone Symposium on The Ubiquitin System: From Basic Science to Drug Discovery in January 2014.
- Pinakin Sukthankar (graduate, Tomich) received a K-State Johnson Cancer Center Graduate Student Travel Award to present a poster, "Peptide Nano-capsules with Lipid Vesicle like Characteristics," at the Biophysical Society 58th Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA on February 15 - 19, 2014.
- Weihong Zhang (graduate, Chen) received a K-State Johnson Cancer Center Graduate Student Travel Award to give an oral presentation, "Accelerate Sampling in Atomistic Energy Landscapes Using Topology-based Coarse-grained models," at the Biophysical Society 58th Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA on February 15 - 19, 2014.