Recent Department Achievements
- Larry Davis - Book Chapter
Hudek, Kelly, Lawrence C. Davis, Jwan Ibbini, and Larry Erickson. 2014. "Commercial Products from Algae," In Algal Biorefineries. Volume 1. Cultivation of Cells and Products, Springer, pp 275-295.
- Anna Zolkiewska, Hui Li (research associate), and Sara Duhachek Muggy (graduate student) had the publication “Metalloproteinase-disintegrin ADAM12 is associated with a breast tumor-initiating cell phenotype” in Breast Cancer Research and Treatment featured on MDLinx, Medical News and Information website on June 21, 2013.
- Anna Zolkiewska has received a four-year $1.245 million grant from the National Cancer Institute -- at the National Institutes of Health -- to study a promising breast cancer marker called ADAM12. The grant is titled "ADAM12 in breast tumor initiating cells." Press Release
Student Awards and Scholarships
- James Balthazor (graduate, Reeck) received the 2012-2013 Excellence in Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics Graduate Teaching Award from the department.
- Elizabeth Ploetz (2010 BS/MS graduate n Biochemistry) Chosen to participate in the 63rd Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting in Lindau, Germany, June 30 to July 5, 2013. Press Release
- Obdulia Covarrubias (undergraduate, Tomich) named a 2013 McNair Scholar and member of Mortar Board, national senior honor society. Press Release
- Jenny Barriga (undergraduate, Bossman) awarded a 2013 Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship. Press Release
- Prashant Wani (graduate, Roelofs) 1st place in the Biological Sciences division poster competition for his presentation of "Chaperone mediated assembly of Proteasome: Constructing the destruction", at the 2013 K-State Research Forum on March 27.
- Xiangming Li (graduate, Wangemann) received the 2011-2012 Excellence in Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics Graduate Research Award from the department.
Fall 2013 K-State Johnson Cancer Center Undergraduate Cancer Research Awards
BMB undergraduate unless otherwise noted.
- Susan Whitaker (undergraduate, Tomich) Tuning of a peptide capsule based system for timed drug delivery
- Macy Garcia (undergraduate, Tomich) Alternative transfection protocol for anti-cancer vaccine vector against HPV-16
- Jonathan Bernard (Biology undergraduate, Tomich) Directed mutagenesis of Brevibacterium linens for the increased production of fermentation derived B-Cryptoxanthin
- Michael Mohan (undergraduate, Chen) Effects of T-ALL mutations on mechanical activation of human NOTCH1 protein
- Jamilah Watkins (Life Sciences undergraduate, Kanost) Biochemical characterization of a serine protease inhibitor from the Kunitz family
- Thuy Cao (undergraduate, Kanost) Structure and function of a metalloprotease with a potential role in degrading an extracellular matrix
- Leiming Tang (undergraduate, Asano) Control of translation initiation stringency by elF5-mimic protein (5MP) during tumorigenesis
- Cody Simmons (undergraduate, Clem) Characterizing expression of a growth factor gene and evaluating its potential role in virus infection
- Jenny Barriga (undergraduate, Bossmann) Using non-pathogenic bacteria to deliver chemotherapeutic drugs to tumors
- Madison Caywood (undergraduate, Bossmann) Measuring fluorescence levels of protease activity with different serum samples to find cancer progression markers in hopes of developing a new detection method for breast cancer
- Chris Miller presented his PhD defense, “Biochemical Studies of Prolamins from Sorghum and Wheat”, on November 6, 2013.
- Meera Kumari (grad, Muthukrishnan) presented a talk, “The search for the target of the chitin inhibitor, dilfubenzuron (DFB) in the red flour beetle”, at the Entomoligical Society of America 2013 Annual Meeting on November 11, 2013 in Austin, TX.
- Om Prakash presented an invited talk, “Structure informs on function: A Tale of Norovirus Proteaseat”, the 69th Southwest Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society on November 17, 2013 in Waco, TX.
- John Tomich gave an invited seminar, “Bending Nature’s Rules of Assembly to Build New and Different Structures from the Same Peptide Sequence: FLIVIGSII”, at Washington University Medical School, St. Louis, MO on October 7, 2013.
- Xiangming Li (graduate, Wangemann) presented her Ph.D. defense, "Restoring Hearing and Balance in a Mouse Model of SLc26a4-Related Deafness", on October 11, 2013
- Michael Kanost gave an invited lecture, “Biochemistry of Blue Blood: Hemolymph proteins that regulate immune responses in Manduca sexta”, at the Department of Entomology, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX on October 17, 2013.
- John Tomich gave a talk at the Terry Johnson Cancer Center Advisory Board “A Novel Peptide-Based Drug Delivery System” October 25, 2013.
- Timothy Durrett gave an invited seminar, "Characterization of a membrane bound O-acyltransferase (MBOAT) with unusual substrate specificity", at the Department of Chemistry, Wichita State University on October 28, 2013.
- John Tomich gave an invited seminar, “Lipid-like peptide nano-capsules”, in the Department of Chemical Engineering, Kansas State Universtiy on October 30, 2013.
- Michael Kanost presented an invited symposium lecture, “Regulation of hemolymph protease cascades in the immune system of Manduca sexta”, at the 46th Annual Meeting of the Society for Invertebrate Pathology, Conference on Invertebrate Pathology and Microbial Control on August 12, 2013 in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Jianhan Chen presented an invited seminar, “The orderly chaos of proteins”, at the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware on September 20, 2013.
- Phillip Klebba presented a seminar at Wichita State University Dept. of Chemistry entitled "Active iron transport through an unenergized membrane," on Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2013.
- Wenjing Wang (graduate, Kanost) presented her M.S. defense, “Expression of recombinant Manduca sexta prophenoloxidase activating proteinase-1 in Bacillus subtilis”, on August 2, 2013
- Zhen Li (graduate, Kanost) presented his M.S. defense, “Investigation in Tribolium castaneum resilin, a rubber-like insect cuticular protein”, on August 7, 2013.
- Fabrice Ngonsop (graduate, Zolkiewski) presented his M.S. defense, “Biochemical characterization of a plasmodium falciparum ClpB homologue PfClpB1 localized to the apicoplast”, on August 13, 2013.
Research and Exhibitions
- Fabrice Ngansop, Hui Li, Anna Zolkiewska, and Michal Zolkiewski presented a poster, "Biochemical characterization of the apicoplast-targeted AAA+ATPase ClpB from Plasmodium falciparum," at the 19th Annual Midwest Stress Response and Molecular Chaperone Meeting, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL on January 18, 2014
- Jamilah Watkins, Daisuke Takahashi, Yasuaki Hiromasa, and Michael Kanost presented a poster, "Identification and Biochemical characterization of a Kunitz-type serine protease inhibitor from a insect, Manduca sexta," at the 12th Annual K-INBRE Symposium, Kansas City, MO, on January 17-19, 2014.
- Beibei Li (grad, Muthukrishnan) presented a poster, "Dynamic assembly of cuticular proteins into the elytral procuticle of Tribolium castaneum," at the 12th Annual K-INBRE Symposium, Kansas City, MO, on January
- Weihang Zhang and Jianhan Chen presented a poster, "Accelerate sampling in atomistic energy landscapes using topology-based coarse-grained models," GRC-Protein Folding and Dynamics, in Galveston, TX, on January 5-10, 2014.
- Yue Qi (grad, Zolkiewska) and Hui Li (postdoc, Zolkiewska) presented a poster, “Functional characterization of three novel breast cancer-related somatic mutations in metalloproteinase-disintegrin ADAM12,” at San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, in San Antonio, TX, December 10-14, 2013.
- Nicole Green (grad, E Geisbrecht) presented a poster, “Fondue and Tiggrin Interaction at Muscle-Muscle Attachments,” at the 2013 Midwest Drosophila Meeting in Monticello, Illinois on November 2-3, 2013.
- Beibei Li (grad, Muthukrishnan) presented a poster, “Dynamic assembly of cuticular proteins into the elypral procuticle of Tribolium castaneum," at the Entomoligical Society of America 2013 Annual Meeting on November 12, 2013 in Austin, TX.
- Sara Duhachek-Muggy and Anna Zolkiewska presented a poster, "Metalloprotease-disintegrin ADAM12-L in breast cancer cells: Regulation of expression by microRNA-200b/c", at the annual meeting on "Advances in Breast Cancer Research: Genetics, Biology, and Clinical Applications", October 3-6, 2013, The Manchester Grand Hyatt, San Diego, CA.
- Sunil Bansal, Tam Tran-Nguyen and Timothy Durrett presented a poster, "Understanding the Unusual Substrate Specificity of a Novel Acyltransferase that Synthesizes Low Viscosity Oil", at the Kansas NSF EPSCoR conference, October 7-8, 2013, Lawrence, KS.
Rohit Kamat presented a poster, 'Peroxide and Mediator: Essential Factors for 'Rapid' Decolorization of Synthetic Dyes by Plants' at "Plant Biology 2013"- The Annual Meeting Of The American Society Of Plant Biologists (ASPB) in Providence, Rhode Island from July 20-24, 2013.
- Pidlisnyuk, V., Stefanovaska, T., Lewis, E.E., Erickson, L.E., and Davis, L.C. (2014), Miscanthus as a Productive Biofuel Crop for Phytoremediation. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 33:1, 1-19, DOI:10.1080/07352689.2014.847 616
- Takahashi, D., Kim, Y., Lovell, S., Prakash, O., Groutas, W., and Chang, K. (2013). Structural and inhibitor studies of norovirus 3C-like proteases. Virus Research: Vol. 178: 437-444 PubMed ID: 24055466
- Ganguly, D., Zhang, W., and Chen, J. (2013), Electrostatically Accelerated Encounter and Folding for Facile Recognition of Intrinsically Disordered Proteins.PLoS Comput. Biol. 9(11): e1003363. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003363 PMID: 24278008
- Bukovnik, U., Sala-Rabanal, M. Francis, S., Frazier S.J., Schultz, B.D., Nichols, C. G., Tomich J.M. (2013) Effect of Diaminopropionic acid (Dap) on the Biophysical Properties of a Modified Synthetic Channel-Forming Peptide.Mol Pharm. 10(10):3959-3966. PMID: 24010543
- Sukthankar, P., Gudlur, S., Avila, L.A., Whitaker, S., Katz, B.B., Hiromasa, Y., Gao, J., Thapa, P., Moore, D., Iwamoto, T., Chen, J., Tomich, J.M. (2013) Branched Oligopeptides Form Nano-Capsules with Lipid Vesicle CharacteristicsLangmuir 29:14648−14654. PMID: 24188529
- Bukovnik, U., Sala-Rabanal, M. Francis, S., Frazier SJ,., Schultz, B.D., Nichols, C. G., Tomich JM (2013) Effect of Diaminopropionic acid (Dap) on the Biophysical Properties of a Modified Synthetic Channel-Forming Peptide. Mol Pharm. 10(10):3959-3966. PMID: 24010543.
- Lim S, Xu J, Kim J, Chen TY, Su X, Standard J, Carey E, Griffin J, Herndon B, Katz B, Tomich J, Wang W. Role of anthocyanin-enriched purple-fleshed sweet potato p40 in colorectal cancer prevention.Mol Nutr Food Res. 2013 Jun 19. doi:10.1002/mnfr. 201300040. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23784800 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Ngansop, F., Li, H., Zolkiewska, A., Zolkiewski, M.,"Biochemical characterization of the apicoplast-targeted AAA+ ATPase ClpB from Plasmodium falciparum", Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm., doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2013.08.064.
- Li, H., Duhachek Muggy, S., Dubnicka, S., and Zolkiewska, A. (2013) Metalloproteinase-disintegrin ADAM12 is associated with a breast tumor-initiating cell phenotype. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment doi 10.1007/s10549-013-2602-2.
- W. Zhang and J. Chen (2013), Efficiency of adaptive temperature-based replica exchange for sampling large-scale protein conformational transitions, J. Chem. Theory Comput. 9, 2849-2856.
- Jordan, L.D., Zhou, Y, Smallwood, C.R., Lill, Y, Ritchie,K., Yip, W, Newton, S.M., Klebba, P.E. (2013) Energy-dependent motion of TonB in the Gram-negative bacterial inner membrane. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Jun 24. PMID: 23798405
- Sara Duhachek Muggy (graduate, Zolkiewska) received a Graduate Student Council Travel Award to attend 2013 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium in December.
- Yue Qi (graduate, Zolkiewska) received a Graduate Student Council Travel Award to present a poster, “Functional characterization of three novel breast cancer-related somatic mutations in metalloproteinase-disintegrin ADAM12,” and attend 2013 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium in December.
- Prashant Wani (graduate, Roelofs) received a K-State Johnson Cancer Center Graduate Student Travel Award and a Hageman Graduate Student Travel Scholarship to present a poster, “The proteasome core particle chaperones Pba1 and Pba2 prevent the binding of the regulatory particle to immature core particles,” and attend the Keystone Symposium on The Ubiquitin System: From Basic Science to Drug Discovery in January 2014.
- Pinakin Sukthankar (graduate, Tomich) received a K-State Johnson Cancer Center Graduate Student Travel Award to present a poster, "Peptide Nano-capsules with Lipid Vesicle like Characteristics," at the Biophysical Society 58th Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA on February 15 - 19, 2014.
- Weihong Zhang (graduate, Chen) received a K-State Johnson Cancer Center Graduate Student Travel Award to give an oral presentation, "Accelerate Sampling in Atomistic Energy Landscapes Using Topology-based Coarse-grained models," at the Biophysical Society 58th Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA on February 15 - 19, 2014.
- Rohit Kamat (graduate, Davis) received the Hageman Graduate Student Travel Scholarship to present his poster, “Peroxide and Mediator: Essential Factors for 'Rapid' Decolorization of Synthetic Dyes by Plants” at "Plant Biology 2013"- The Annual Meeting Of The American Society Of Plant Biologists (ASPB) in Providence, Rhode Island from July 20-24, 2013.