Recent Department Achievements
- Jianhan Chen served as a Panelist for NSF CTMC Biomolecular Simulations Panel, on January 16, 2015.
- Timothy Durrett received a grant from US Department of Energy, Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program for “Optimization and production of acetyl-triacylglycerols for use as fuels, lubricants, and specialty chemicals”
- Brian Geisbrecht received a grant from NIH/NIAD for "Inhibition of the Classical & Lectin Complement Pathways by Staphylococcus aureus Eap"
- Timothy Durrett received a grant from USDA-NIFA for "Targeted engineering of Camelina seed biochemistry to synthesize valuable oleochemical feedstocks"
- Tomich, JM., and Sukthanka, PR., submitted a provisional patent "Multifunctional Gold Nanoparticle-Peptide Bilayer Complexes" dated Novermber 5, 2014.
- Tomich, JM., and Fleming SD. have received a US Patent for "b2-Glycoprotein l Peptide Inhibitors." Notice of Allowance dated September 15, 2014.
- Tomich, JM., Iwanoto, T., Hiromasa, Y., and Gudlar, S. have received a US Patent for "Branched Amphipathic Oligo-Peptides that Self-Assemble into Vesicles." Notice of Allowance dated September 3, 2014.
- Erika Geisbrecht has received a grant from National Institutes of Heath (NIH) "Protein Tyrosine Phosphatase Signaling in Muscle Maintenance." PI: S. Bouyain; co-PI: Erika Geisbrecht, award: $358,240 (total); $90,000 (KSU per year 8/1/14-7/31/16).
- Timothy Durrett accepted a position as an Associate Editor for the Journal of the American Oil Chemist’s Society.
- Jianan Chen has received a grant from National Institutes of Health (NIH) “Theoretical and computational modeling of amyloid aggregation.” PI:Schmit; co-PI: Jianhan Chen, award: $1,425,000 (total); $90,000 (KSU per year 9/1/14 – 8/31/19).
- Timothy Durrett has received a grant from USDA-DOE Plant Feedstock Genomics “Biofuels in the Arid West: Germplasm Development for Sustainable Production of Camelina Oilseed.” PI: John McKay, Colorado State University; co-PIs: Timothy Durrett (KSU), Edgar Cahoon (Nebaraska), Luca Comai (UC-Davis), Jack Mullen (CSU), award: $1,487,200 (total); $349,405,00 (KSU).
Student Awards and Scholarships
- Prashant S. Wani (graduate, Roelofs-Biology) has received the Ruby Newhall Scholarship for 2014-2015. (Sept., 2014)
- Nicole Green (graduate, E. Geisbrecht) is an NSF EIDRoP GK-12 Graduate fellow for 2014-2015.
- Sara DuhachekMuggy (graduate, Zolkiewska) and Pinakin Sukthankar (graduate, Tomich) received the 2014 Excellence in Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics Graduate Research Award from the department.
Fall 2014 K-State Johnson Cancer Center Undergraduate Cancer Research Awards
- Muriel Eaton (Roelofs-Biology) Studies into the mechanisms responsible for cellular disposal of the proteasome, a target for the cancer drug Bortezomib.
- Macy Garcia (Tomich) Design and development of long circulating targeted nano-capsules for cancer radiotherapy.
- Caitlin Hall (E. Geisbrecht) Do mutations in Drosophila clueless affect cell architecture and cell adhesion?
- Leah Rettig (E. Geisbrecht) Is transgluatminase required to strengthen integrin-mediated cell adhesion?
- Steven Stimac (Tomich) Defining the sizes of plasmid DNA that can be effective delivered through complexation with branched amphiphilic peptide capsules.
- Kayla Wilkinson (Tomich) Studies on the uptake of branched amphiphilic peptide capsules in primary and cancer cell lines.
- Lawrence Davis was invited to do a presentation on “Phytoremediation with miscanthus produced for bioenergy” at the international workshop “Current issues in phytoremediation with biomass production.” Held at the Department of the Environment, Faculty of Natural Resources, Matej Bel University, the Solvak Republic, January 12, 2015.
- Phillip E Klebba was the session chair an was invited to do a presentation on "Spectroscopic analyses of Gram-negative bacterial iron transport reactions." At the 2nd international Congress on Bacteriology and Infectious Diseases (Bacteriology, 2014) Chicago, IL, November 17-19, 2014
- Sara Duhachek Muggy (graduate, Zolkiewska) presented her PhD. Defense, "Multiple isoforms of ADAM12 in breast cancer: Differential regulation of expression and unique roles in cancer progression", November 6, 2014
- Tim Durrett presented a seminar, "Elucidating the Regulation of Storage Lipid Synthesis in Developing Plant Seeds", at KUMC-Illumina NextGen Sequencing Research Symposium, Kansas City, KS, on October 29, 2014
- Tim Durrett presented a seminar, "From Burning Bushes to Chocolate Vines: Using Sequence Diversity to Explore MBOAT Substrate Specificity and Increase Production of Low Viscosity Oil", at the Department of Biochemistry & Redox Biology Center Fall 2014 Seminar Series, University of Nebraska, Lincoln NE. on October 28, 2014
- Luz Adriana Avila Flores (graduate, Tomich) presented her PhD. Defense, “Branched Amphiphilic Peptides: An Alternative Non-Viral Gene Delivery System”, October 17, 2014
- Tim Durrett presented a seminar, “Targeted Metabolic Engineering of Oilseed Crops to Produce High Levels of Industrial Lipids”, at the 12th Euro Fed Lipid Congress in Montpellier, France on September 15, 2014.
- Phillip E. Klebba presented a seminar, "Fluorescence spectroscopic studies of the mechanism of Gram-negative bacterial iron transport", at University of California Berkeley, on Septermber 15, 2014.
- Jianhan Chen presented a seminar, “Multi-scale enhanced sampling of protein structure and interactions”, in the Department of Physics at Xiamen University, Shanghai, China on September 17-18, 2014.
- Phillip E. Klebba presented a seminar, "Fluorescence spectroscopic studies of the mechanism of Gram-negative bacterial iron transport", at University of California UCLA, on Septermber 19, 2014.
- Jianhan Chen presented a seminar, “Multi-scale enhanced sampling of protein structure and interaction”, in the Institute of Natural Sciences at Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China on September 21-22, 2014.
- Jianhan Chen presented a seminar, “Orderly Chaos of Proteins”, in the Department of Chemistry at Fudan University, China on September 23, 2014.
- Om Prakash, Daisuke Takahashi, Kyeong-OK Chang, Yunjeong Kim, William C. Groutas, presented “NMR Insights into the Ligand Binding and Molecular Function of Norovirus Protease, an Essential Enzyme for Antiviral Drug Designing” at 26th International Conference on Magnetic Resonance in Biological System,Dallas, TX, Aug. 24-29, 2014.
- Alvaro I. Herrera, Yanjing Xiao, Yugendar R. Bommineni, Jose L. Soulages, Guolong Zhang, Om Prakash, presented “Structural Determinants of Host Defense Peptide Fowlicidin-2 for Antimicrobial Potency and Target Cell Selectivity” at 26th International Conference on Magnetic Resonance in Biological System,Dallas, TX, Aug. 24-29, 2014.
- Timothy Durrett presented a seminar, "Elucidating and Exploiting the Unusual Substrate Specificity of a Membrane Bound O-acyltransferase (MBOAT)" on 9/29/14 at the KSU Entomology Department.
- Jianhan Chen gave a talk on “Accelerate sampling in atomistic energy landscapes using coarse-grained models for implicit solvent optimization” at the 248th American Chemical Society National Meeting, in San Francisco, CA, August 13, 2014.
- Subbaratnam Muthukrishnan gave an invited seminar presentation, “Functional genomics of chitin metabolism in a model insect, Tribolium castaneum”, at Dalian University of Technology in Dalian, Lioning Province, China on August 1, 2014.
- Subbaratnam Muthukrishnan gave an invited seminar presentation, “Targeting chitin metabolism for selective pest control”, at China Agricultural University, Beijing, China on August 27-28, 2014.
- SubbaratnamMuthukrishnan gave an invited seminar presentation, “Enzymes involved in the synthesis, modification and turnover of the extracellular matrix polysaccharide, chitin”, at Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China on August 29 to September 3, 2014
- Subbaratnam Muthukrishnan gave an invited seminar presentation, “Organization of the insect cuticle a multi-component composite”, at SunYat Sen University, Guangzhou Province, China on September 5-7, 2014.
- Subbaratnam Muthukrishnan gave a plenary talk, “The molecular target and mode of action of the acylurea insecticide, diflubenzuron”, at the First International Conference on Insect Toxicology in Guangzhou China on August 7, 2014.
- Jammie Layman (graudate, Tomich) presented her MS. Defense, "Studies on the effect of tryptophan substitutions in a channel-forming peptide", August 22, 2014
Research and Exhibitions
Michal Zolkiewski presented a poster, “Detachment-induced upregulation of PDI-family ER chaperones in breast cancer cells,” at the 20th Annual Midwest Stress Response and Molecular Chaperone Meeting at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL on January 17, 2015.
Maureen Gorman presented a poster, "Multicopper oxidase-1 orthologs from diverse insect species have ascorbate oxidase activity," at Entomology 2014: Grand Challenges Beyond Our Horizons in Portland, OR, November 16-19, 2014.
Karanbir S. Aulakh and Timothy P. Durrett presented a poster, "Elucidating the Regulation of Storage Lipid Synthesis in Developing Plant Seeds", at the KUMC-Illumina NextGen Sequencing Research Symposium, Kansas City, KS. October 29, 2014
- Om Prakash presented a poster, “NMR Insights into the Ligand Binding and Molecular Function of Norovirus Protease, an Essential Enzyme for Antiviral Drug Designing”, at the International Conference on Magnetic Resonance in Biological Systems in Dallas, TX on August 24-29, 2014.
- Alvaro Herrera (graduate, Prakash) presented a poster, “Structural Determinants of Host Defense Peptide Fowlicidin-2 for Antimicrobial Potency and Target Cell Selectivity”, at the International Conference on Magnetic Resonance in Biological Systems in Dallas, TX on August 24-29, 2014.
- Skaff DA, McWhorter WJ, Geisbrecht BV, Wyckoff GJ, Miziorko HM. (2014) “Inhibition of bacterial mevalonate diphosphate decarboxylase by eriochrome compounds.” Arch Biochem Biophys. 2015 Jan 15;566:1-6. doi: 10.1016/j.abb.2014.12.002. Epub 2014 Dec 11
- Tetreau, G., Cao, X., Chen, YR., Muthukrishnan, S., Haobo, J., Blissard, GW., Kanost, MR., and Wang, P. (2015) “Overview of chitin metabolism enzymes in Manduce sexta: Identification, domain organization, phylogenetic analysis and gene expression.” Insect Biochem Mol Biol. Jan 20. Pii:S0965-1748(15)00013-2 doi:10,1016/j.ibmb.2015.01.006. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:25616108
- Noh, MY., Kramer, KJ., Muthukrishnan, S., Beeman, RW., Kanost, MR., and Arakane, Y., (2015) “Loss of function of the yellow-e gene causes dehydration-induced mortality of adult Tribolium castaneum.” Dev Biol. Jan 19. Pii:S0012-1606(15)00017-2. Doi:10.1016/jdbio.2015.01.009. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:25614237
- Li, H., Wu, H-C., Liu, Z., Zacchi, LF., Brodsky, JL., and Zolkiewski, M. (2014) “Intracellular Complexes of the Early-Onset Torsion Dystonia-Associated AAA+ ATPase TorsinA”, SpringerPlus, 3:743, 2014.
- Zhang, X., Meekins, DA., An, C., Zolkiewski, M., Battaile, KP., Kanost, MR., Lovell, S., and Michel, K. (2014)"Structural and Inhibitory Effects of Hinge Loop Mutagenesis in Serpin-2 the Malaria Vector Anopheles gambiae." J Biol Chem. Dec 14. pii:jbc.M114.625665
- Tetreau, G., Dittmer, N.T., Cao, X., Agrawal, S., Chen, Y., Muthukrishnan, S., Haobo, J., Blissard, G.W., Kanost, M.R., and Wang, P. (2014) "Analysis of Chitin-binding proteins from Manduca sexta provides new insights into evolution of peritrophin A-type chitin-binding domains in insects." Insect Biochem Mol Biol. Dec 15 pii:S0965-1748(14)00195-7.
- Cao, X., He, Y., Zhang, X., Wang, Y., Zou, Z., Chen, Y., Blissard, G.W., Kanost, M.R., and Jiang, H. (2014)"equence conservation, phylogenetic relationships, and expression profiles of nondigestive serine proteases and serine protease homologs in Manduca sexta.S" Insect Biochem Mol Biol. Dec 19 pii:S0965-1748(14)00172-6
- Rao, X., Cao, X., He, Y., Hu, Y., Zhang, X., Chen, Y., Blissard, G., Kanost, M.R., Yu, X., and Jiang, H. (2014)"Structural features, evolutionary relationships, and transcriptional regulation of C-type lectin-domain proteins in Manduca sexta." Insect Biochem Mol Biol. Dec. 29 pii:S0965-1748(14)00199-4.
- D, Peric, P.A. Bartley, L. Davis, A.U. Uzer, & C. Gurer (2014). “Assessment of sand stabilization potential of a plant-derived biomass.” Science and Engineering of Composite Materials ISSN (online) 2191-0659, ISSN (print) 0792-1233, DOI:10-1515/secm-2014-0061
- Stapels, DA., Geisbrecht, BV., and Rooijakkers, SH. (2014) "Neutrophil serine proteases in antibacterial defense." Curr Opin Microbiol. Nov. 18:23C:42-48. Doi:10.1016/j.mib.2014.11.002 [Epub ahead of print]
- Woehl, JL., Stapels, DA., Garcia, BL., Ramyar, KX., Keightley, A., Ruyken, M., Syriga, M., Sfyroera, G., Weber, AB., Zolkiewski, M., Ricklin, D., Lambris, JD., Rooijakkers, SH., and Geisbrecht, BV. (2014) “The Extracellular Adherence Protein from Staphylococcus aureus Inhibits the Classical and Lectin Pathways of Complement by Blocking Formation of the C3 Proconvertase.” J Immunol Nov 7. Pii:1401600. [Epub ahead of print] This paper was selected to be highlighted in the “In This Issue” section of the journal.
- Malmirchegini, GR., Sjodt M., Shnitkind S., Sawaya MR., Rosinski J., Newton SM., Klebba PE., and Clubb RT. (2014) “Novel mechanism of hemin capture by Hbp2, the hemoglobin-binding hemophore from Listeria monoctogenes” J Biol Chem 2014 Oct 14. Pii:jbc.M114.583013
- Peng, Z., Green, PG., Kanost, MR., and Gorman, MJ. (2014) “A multicopper oxidase-related protein plays a role in insect molting, life span and ovary development.” PloS ONE, 9(10): e111344.
- Takahashi, D., Dai, H., Hiromasa, Y., Krishnamoorthi, R., and Kanost, MR. (2014)“Self-association of an insect β-1,3 glucan recognition protein upon binding laminarin stimulates prophenoloxidase activation as an innate immune response.” J. Biol. Chem. 289, 28399-183410.
- Xu, J,. Su, X., Lim, S., Griffin, J., Carey, E., Katz, B., Tomich, JM., Smith, JS., and Wang, W. (2014) “Characterization and Stability of Anthocyanins in Purple-fleshed Sweet Potato” P40. In press Food Science e-print ahead of publication http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.08.123
- Avila, LA, Lee, S. and Tomich JM. (2014) “Synthetic in vitro delivery systems for plasmid DNA in eukaryotes” (review) J. Nanopharmaceutics and Drug Delivery2: 17-35.
- Varahan, S., Harms, N., Gilmore, MS., Tomich, JM., and Hancock, LE. (2014) “An ABC Transporter Is Required for Secretion of Peptide Sex Pheromones in Enterococcus faecalis.” MBio. Sep 23;5(5). pii: e01726-14. doi:10.1128/mBio.01726-14.
- Khosla, A., Paper, JM., Boehler, AP., Bradley AM., Neumann, TR., and Schrick, K. (2014) “HD-Zip Proteins GL2 and HDG11 Have Redundant Functions in Arabidopsis Trichomes, and GL2 Activates a Positive Feedback Loop via MYB23.”The Plant CellMay vol. 26 no. 5 2184-2200
- Stapels, DA., Ramyar, KX., Bischoff, M., Von Köckritz-Blickwede, M., Milder, FJ., Ruyken, M., Eisenbeis, J., McWhorter, WJ., Herrmann, M., Van Kessel, KP., Geisbrecht, BV., and Rooijakkers, SH. (2014) “Staphylococcus aureus secretes a unique class of neutrophil serine protease inhibitors.” Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. Pii:201407616
- Odman-Naresh, J., Duevel, M., Muthukrishnan, S., and Merzendorfer, H. (2014) “A lepidopteran-specific gene family encoding valine-rich midgut” PLoS ONE 8(11):e82015. Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0082015
- Chaudhari, S.S, Moussian, B., Specht, CA., Arakane, Y., Kramer, KJ., Beeman RW., and Muthukrishnan, S. (2014) “Functional specialization among members of knickkopf family of proteins in insect cuticle organization” PLoS Genet. Aug. 21;10(8)e1004537. Dpo:10.1371/journal.pgen.1004537
Prashant Wani (graduate, Roelofs Biology) received the ASBMB 2015 Graduate/Postdoctoral Travel Award to attend the ASBMB 2015 Annual Meeting in Boston Massachusetts, March 28th to April 1st 2015.
Sara Duhachek Muggy (graduate, Zoliewska) received the Sarachek Travel Award to attend a workshop entitled Translational Cancer Research for Basic Scientists in Boston, Massachusetts, October 26-31, 2014.
Alvaro Herrera (graduate, Prakash) received an Arts & Sciences Graduate Student Research Travel Award to present his research studies at 26th International Conference on Magnetic Resonance in Biological System,Dallas, TX, Aug. 24-29, 2014.