Brett K. Sandercock
Ph.D. 1997, Simon Fraser University. Vertebrate Ecology.
Behavioral ecology; demography; evolutionary ecology; mark-recapture
statistics; matrix methods; ornithology; population biology.
My research interests are in population
biology, primarily the behavioral ecology and
evolutionary biology of terrestrial vertebrates.
My interests in behavioral ecology have included studies
of sexual selection, mating systems, and parental care
in shorebirds and grouse. In evolutionary ecology,
I have published on life history evolution in birds, and
the demography of animals and plants. I have
expertise in quantitative ecology and am interested in
estimation of demographic parameters with mark-recapture
methods, and modeling population dynamics with
projection matrices. I have used a mixture of
manipulative experiments and observational approaches as
part of field studies of marked individuals in wild
populations. My study species have often been
selected as model study systems for organisms where
management and conservation issues are relevant.
Selected Research Publications
- Casey, A.E., K.L. Jones, B.K. Sandercock, and S.M. Wisely. 2008.
Heteroduplex molecules cause sexing errors in a standard molecular protocol for
avian sexing. Molecular Ecology Resources, in press.
- Dalgleish, H.J., D.C. Hartnett, B.K. Sandercock, and A.R. Kula. 2008.
Responses of two bunchgrasses to nitrogen addition in tallgrass prairie: the
role of bud bank demography. American Journal of Botany, in press.
- Kosciuch, K.L., J.W. Rivers, and B.K. Sandercock. 2008. Stable
isotopes identify the natal origins of a generalist brood parasite. Journal
of Avian Biology, in press.
- Kosciuch, K.L., and B.K. Sandercock. 2008.
Experimental removal of Brown-headed Cowbirds increases productivity of the
parasite and their songbird host. Ecological Applications 18:537-548.
- Sandercock, B.K., W.E. Jensen, C.K. Williams and R.D. Applegate. 2008. Demographic sensitivity of population change in the Northern
Bobwhite: a life-stage simulation analysis. Journal of Wildlife
- Strum, K.M., M. Alfaro, B. Haase, M.J. Hooper, K.A.
Johnson, R.B. Lanctot, A.J. Lesterhuis, L. López, A.C. Matz, C. Morales, B.
Paulson, B.K. Sandercock, J. Torres-Dowdall and M.E. Zaccagnini. 2008. Plasma cholinesterases for monitoring pesticide exposure in
Nearctic-Neotropical migratory shorebirds. Ornithología Neotropical 19 (Suppl.):641-651.
- Hagen, C.A., J.C. Pitman, B.K. Sandercock, R.J. Robel and R.D. Applegate. 2007. Age-specific
survival and probable causes of mortality in female Lesser Prairie-chickens.
Journal of Wildlife Management 71: 518-525.
- Mong, T.W., and B.K. Sandercock. 2007. Optimizing radio retention and
minimizing radio impacts in a field study of Upland Sandpipers. Journal
of Wildlife Management 71:971-980.
- Reed, A.W., G.A. Kaufman, and B.K. Sandercock. 2007. Demographic
response of a grassland rodent to environmental variability. Journal of Mammalogy 88:982-988.
- Sandercock, B.K. 2006. Estimation of demographic parameters from live encounter data: a summary review. Journal of Wildlife Management 70:1504-1520.
- Kosciuch, K.L., T.H.
Parker and B.K. Sandercock. 2006. Nest desertion by a cowbird host: an
anti-parasite behavior or a response to egg loss? Behavioral Ecology 17:917-924.
- Sandercock, B.K., K. Martin and S.J. Hannon. 2005a. Demographic consequences of age-structure in extreme environments: population models for arctic and alpine ptarmigan. Oecologia 146: 13-24.
- Sandercock, B.K., K. Martin and S.J. Hannon. 2005b. Life history strategies in extreme environments: comparative demography of arctic and alpine ptarmigan. Ecology 86: 2176-2186.
- Sandercock, B.K., T. Székely and A. Kosztolányi. 2005. The effects of age and sex on the apparent survival of Kentish Plovers breeding in southern Turkey. Condor 107: 582-595.
- Sandercock, B.K. and S.R. Beissinger. 2002. Estimating rates of population change for a neotropical parrot with ratio, mark-recapture and matrix methods. Journal of Applied Statistics 29: 589-607.
- Sandercock, B.K. and A. Jaramillo. 2002. Annual survival rates of wintering sparrows: assessing demographic consequences of migration. Auk 119: 149-165.
- Shefferson, R.P., B.K. Sandercock, J. Proper, and S.R. Beissinger. 2001. Estimating dormancy and survival of a rare herbaceous perennial using mark-recapture
models. Ecology 82: 145-156.
- Sandercock, B.K., S.R. Beissinger, S.H. Stoleson, R.R. Melland, and C.R.
Hughes. 2000. Survival rates of a neotropical parrot: implications for
latitudinal comparisons of avian demography. Ecology 81: 1351-1370.
- Sandercock, B.K. 1997. Incubation capacity and clutch size determination in
two calidrine sandpipers: a test of the four-egg threshold. Oecologia 110: 50-59.