Summer Music Camp
June 12 - 16, 2016
Information and 2016 Camp Reminders from Mr. Linn:
Dear 2016 K-State Music Camp Participants,
We are very excited to have you on campus this summer and we are in our final preparations for the biggest and best camp ever. We are very excited about another great summer with all of you and Dr. Gilbert and Dr. Blocher. Attached to this site you will find a reminder memo, a list of what to bring, the camp schedule, and a campus map with important buildings marked.
A few reminders for you:
1. Registration begins at 1pm June 12th at Derby Dining Hall for all resident campers. Our dorm this year will be Haymaker Hall and we are very excited about this! Please check in at Derby before checking in at McCain if you are a resident.
2. Camp Registration begins at 1:30pm at the McCain 201 Hallway on the Music Department side of McCain Auditorium. This will be your chance to check in, get your camp t-shirt, complete medical forms, and make payment if you haven't already.
3. We will be going to the Manhattan City Pool on BOTH Wednesday and Thursday this year! Please plan accordingly with appropriate swimwear, pool towels, sandals, and plenty of sunscreen!
4. Our first camp meeting will start Sunday, June 12 at 2:45pm in All Faiths Chapel. You should be checked-in before this time.
5. Percussionists - Don't bring instruments - Just bring your sticks and mallets: We will provide all instruments for you.
6. Don't forget - Comfortable Camp clothes, toiletries, soap, washcloths, and nice concert clothes for Thursday.
7. You may bring your Jazz instrument with you (ex. Electric bass) if you wish to try out for the jazz band.
8. Please Pre-pay to avoid long lines at registration. You can mail payment (cash, check or money order) to Summer Music Camp, 226 McCain Auditorium, Manhattan, KS, 66506.
9. The final camp concert will be June 16th (Thursday) at 6:30pm in All Faiths Chapel on campus. All parents and friends are welcome and admission is free.
Thank you all so much. The staff and I can't wait to see you on June 12th!
The 2016 Kansas State University Summer Music Camp will be held on June 12-16th and is open to all band students grades 5 through 12. A typical daily schedule during camp includes a full group rehearsal in the morning, followed by a sectional (small group) rehearsal with instruction by a specialist. Lunch is followed by supervised recreation time at either the K-State Union or the brand new Manhattan City Water Park, another full group rehearsal, then small group instruction. The campers perform with the Manhattan Municipal Band on Tuesday evening and camp culminates with a final performance by the camp ensembles Thursday afternoon.
The guest conductors for the 2016 KSU Music camp will be Dr. Jay Gilbert, Director of Bands at Doane College in Crete, Nebraska, and Dr. Larry Blocher of Troy University (Alabama). There is also the possibility of adding a 3rd band due to increased interest in the camp. The five-day camp exposes students to a variety of ensemble and rehearsal settings, including concert band, small ensembles, and jazz ensembles.
The staff of the Kansas State Music Camp is comprised of the finest musicians and teachers from the area who are chosen for their interest and ability to inspire and teach talented young musicians. College music students complete our staff. A minimum of two staff members reside on each floor of the residence halls with the resident campers, and all staff members supervise student rehearsals throughout each day and evening.
Resident campers will stay in a university residence hall. Cafeteria-style meals are served in the university dining center. Students who choose not to stay in university housing have the option of purchasing a commuter meal card which includes four lunches and four dinners. They may also choose to pay cash for each individual meal.
For more information regarding the Kansas State Music Camp, call (785) 532-3816
Resident Camper ($400.00)
|Non-Resident Camper ($235.00)|
For an additional fee, campers may take private lessons with K-State University faculty/students during the camp!
The Summer Music Camp is directed by
Dr. Frank Tracz, Director of Bands
Mr. Don Linn, Assistant Director of Bands
In addition to their rehearsal and classroom experiences, campers were provided with ample social and recreational activities, including recreation time at the KSU Student Union, a Picnic Dinner at the Manhattan City Park followed by a concert performance with the Manhattan Municipal Band, and a student talent-show.
After completing online registration, Checks and Medical Forms can be mailed to:
K-State Bands Music Camp
Kansas State University
226 McCain Auditorium
Manhattan, Kansas 66506
For more information, contact:
Depatrment of Music
Kansas State University
226 McCain Auditorium
Manhattan, KS 66506
(785) 532-3817 - fax
2016 - JUNE 12 - 16, 2016
2017 - JUNE 11 - 15, 2017
2018 - JUNE 10 - 14, 2018
2019 - JUNE 9 - 13, 2019
2020 - JUNE 14 - 18, 2020