Keynote Address - HLC Accreditation - Expectations Related to Student Learning: Cia Verschelden (.pdf)
Migette Kaup & Robert Garcia - Expanding Assessment Across the Curriculum
Fred Burrack & Steven Hawks - Assessment 101 and Beyond
Assessment Showcase Awards
College Assessment Review Committee (CARC)
College of Veterinary Medicine
Melinda Wilkerson, Dave Anderson, Michael Kenney, T.G. Nagaraja
The College of Veterinary Medicine has demonstrated excellence in student learning assessment in the following ways:
- The College of Veterinary Medicine integrates a wide variety of assessments, both direct and indirect. They have made outstanding improvements in reporting the faculty review of the assessments and the resulting impact on curriculum design, assessment practice, and enhancement of student learning.
- A notable element in the assessment process is the impact that the assessments have on curriculum through faculty involvement with the data. The
- Using the videotaped Client Interaction is an outstanding vehicle to authentically represent student learning in an applied setting. The efforts made for assessments to reflect practice as well as attained knowledge is notable.
- The data for Job Placement is another fine example of educational impact.
- Using the NAVLE as a very reliable way of identifying knowledge acquisition.
- Using data from the senior survey to expose and addressing curricular needs
Assessment Awards for Enhancing Student Learning
College of Business Administration
The College of Business Administration has demonstrated excellence in student learning assessment for reevaluating and revising the Student Learning Outcomes and planned assessments by:
- Eliminating difficult to assess SLOs due to recognition of problems in the assessment. This shows determination toward honest reporting of student learning that is reflective of authentic assessable learning.
- Pilot testing new assessments for Global Perspectives and for Ethical Reasoning. This demonstrates a thorough and forward thinking toward student learning in the college.
Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work
College of Arts and Science
The Anthropology Program has demonstrated excellence in student learning assessment by expanding assessments across their curriculum.
Assessment Awards for Closing the Gap
Agriculture Communications and Journalism
College of Agriculture
Kris Boone, Department Head
The Agriculture Communications and Journalism Program has demonstrated excellence in student learning assessment by using assessments results to inform the student learning process. More specifically:
- Using the information identified in exit interviews and student self-critique from 2006-7 to enhance the curriculum relating to communication and as a means of improve assessment of student proficiency.
- And using the internship as an authentic demonstration of student competency along with this will enhance the impact of student learning.
Departments of Elementary and Secondary Education
College of Education:
Warren White, Paul Burden, and
The Departments of Elementary Education and Secondary Education have demonstrated excellence in student learning assessment by integrating assessments into course and program processes, adapting the SLO process into state and national accreditation, and involving faculty in decision-making. Their SLOs are clearly tied to the mission of the college, are clearly stated, and are assessed across the curriculum. Faculty are involvement in assessment and actively working to “close the loop” in the assessment of cycle across the curriculum and within the college programs.
College of Human Ecology
Denis M Medeiros
Assessment Award for Planning
Hospitality Management and Dietetics
College of Human Ecology
The Human Nutrition Program demonstrates exemplary leadership in assessment of student learning by:
- involving faculty in discussing assessment results.
- continually revising their assessment plan.
- planning longitudinal tracking of assessments.
- identifying aspects of the assessment process that are less effective.
Assessment Award for Excellence in Assessment Documentation
Department of Aviation
College of Technology and Aviation
The Department of Aviation has demonstrated excellence in student learning assessment by developing an outstanding plan for student learning assessment, submitting clear and detailed documentation of student learning outcomes, annual progress of SLOs, and faculty involvement.
Assessment Award for Excellence in Co-Curricular Assessment
Career and Employment Services
Office of Student Life
Kerri Day Keller, CES Director
Career and Employment Services has demonstrated excellence in student learning assessment for a comprehensive, well-designed, and effectively implemented assessment plan for student learning assessment outside of a classroom.