The mission of the Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering is to produce high-quality baccalaureate graduates who are capable of contributing valuable engineering skills and knowledge toward important traditional areas of the discipline by:
- offering a modern curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology that prepares a student for a lifetime career;
- acknowledging that professional education is a shared responsibility between both students and faculty;
- providing well-prepared and presented courses that challenge the student;
- advising undergraduate students to help them negotiate obstacles in their educational path, and to tailor their education to their strengths and interests;
- actively recruiting and attracting top high school graduates and transfer students; and
- producing an environment within the department that motivates students to fully develop their engineering education through participation in professional societies, student government, extracurricular activities, design competitions, etc.