The mission of the Department of Educational Leadership is to serve the rapidly changing needs of educational leaders and to provide leadership training to wide audiences. More specifically, our mission is to provide training and service to:
- graduate level education, including masters and doctoral degrees
- service to undergraduate programs through the undergraduate leadership program
- the translation of research into practice
- the production and dissemination of professional education scholarship
- the analysis of interpretation of educational policy
- the provision of professional development services to school-related personnel, and
- explicating and fostering the evolution of administration to new models of leadership for learning.
The faculty provide instruction, consultation, and scholarship which focuses on defining and resolving problems of professional practice in a diverse and pluralistic society. The faculty: promote ethical decision making, utilize methodologies which concentrate on quality, are student-and client-centered, incorporate emerging technologies and alternative delivery mechanisms, engage authentic assessment, and emphasize the educational value of clinical experience. The faculty individually and collectively engage in a range and intensity of leadership activities that bring attention at the state, national and international levels of their skills at informing the profession and interpreting the integrated nature of the modern curriculum and organizations dealing with schooling and other social-political environments in coordination with the interdisciplinary leadership studies program.