For Advisors: Kansas Board of Regents Advising Policy
Academic Advising /www.kansasregents.org
a. Effective academic advising is central to the educational mission of the Board of Regents. To ensure that all students have access to high quality advising, each Regents university shall establish an Academic Advising System which shall provide the following:
- Goal Setting: Each Academic Advising System should help students to set both short-term and long-term educational goals.
- Information: Each Academic Advising System should be able to accurately inform students of graduation requirements of their department. It should be sensitive to the importance of strategic course selections so as to minimize the number of semesters required for graduation. Additionally, the System should be able to inform students of career opportunities in their field of study.
- Transitions: Each Academic Advising System should inform students how to change colleges and/or departments. Furthermore, the System should provide information to explain the process students follow to enroll in their curriculum and to drop or add courses during the semester.
- Accessibility: Each Academic Advising System should have reasonable hours and methods of availability for students. Additionally, students should be able to set up appointments within the System for an adequate amount of time to make curricular selections and career choices.
- Referral to Campus Resources: Each Academic Advising System should be able to refer students to various campus resources including, but not limited to: university counseling services, student activities, and career and employment services.
b. Each Academic Advising System shall provide information to students to inform them of their responsibilities in the Academic Advising process.
c. Each Academic Advising System shall be responsible for the necessary training of academic advisors to assist them in meeting the responsibilities of this policy.