Note taking accommodations are available to eligible students with disabilities. Volunteer note takers are solicited by the instructor of the class. However, many instructors provide notes or PowerPoint slides via K-State Online which may reduce the need for note taking services.
The following information outlines the steps to take when requesting a note taker.
- Meet with SAC to request a note taking accommodation.
- Meet with instructor to discuss the accommodation.
- If you need the instructor to obtain a volunteer note taker for you, the instructor will read an announcement in class. Your information should be kept confidential.
- Once a note taker is located, ask the instructor for the note taker's name and email address.
- Contact SAC with the contact information of the note taker or if no one volunteers.
- You should notify us immediately if there are concerns or issues in receiving notes in a timely fashion.
- IMPORTANT: Students confidentiality needs to be respected.
- Assist the student with obtaining notes for your class. Options may include providing the student with PowerPoint slides, personal notes or arranging for a volunteer note taker.
- If locating a volunteer is necessary, the following statement can be announced in class or via email to your students. “If you take good notes and would like to provide notes to a person in class with a disability, please consider being a volunteer note taker. Students interested in serving as a note taker in this class should contact me.”
- Provide the student requesting the service the note taker's name and email address.
- The student requesting a note taker understands that receiving these notes does not take the place of attending class.
- Provide clear and concise notes.
- You will be contacted by our office via email with instructions on how to provide the notes to the student.
- There are several ways that notes can be provided, however, the easiest way to send the notes is electronically.
- Notify SAC if you drop the class, absent or other concerns.
- If you would like to receive a volunteer letter for volunteer service hours, please let us know and we can provide you a letter.