Documentation Required for Annual Evaluations
Ongoing documentation of the annual evaluation process markedly reduces the likelihood of future grievances, retroactive reviews, and disputes over tenure and promotion.
The University Handbook prescribes that the Office of the Provost review evaluation materials and recommendations from all units reporting to the Provost. Because this is the third level of review and encompasses all academic units, the information reviewed by the Office of Academic Personnel on behalf of the Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President consists of summary spreadsheets provided by each unit to the dean or major unit administrator. The purpose of this review is to determine if questions exist as to equity and process. This review enables us to address these issues before rather than after the completion of the evaluation cycle.
Deans and major unit heads should submit a workbook containing the Summary Annual Evaluation Spreadsheets for each of the college’s or major unit’s departments/units to the Office of the Provost by the Friday before Spring Break.
Completing the Summary Annual Evaluation Spreadsheets for the Office of Provost:
1. The Summary Annual Evaluation Spreadsheet is posted on the Academic Personnel website for download by the departments/units.
2. Department/Unit Head completes each faculty member’s and unclassified professional’s annual evaluation report.
Each dean/major unit head completes the annual evaluation report for each employee reporting to the dean/major unit head.
3. Department/Unit Head or designee fills out the Summary Annual Evaluation Spreadsheet, sends the completed spreadsheet to the Dean/Major Unit Head, and includes the individual evaluation reports and any supporting documentation required by the Dean’s/Major Unit’s Office.
The Dean/Major Unit Head or designee will complete the Summary Annual Evaluation Spreadsheet for those employees reporting to the dean/major unit head.
4. The Dean/Major Unit Head reviews the department/unit spreadsheets. After the reviews of all of the departments/units are completed, the Dean’s/Major Unit’s Office compiles all of the department/unit spreadsheets into an Excel workbook and sends the workbook to the Office of Academic Personnel. The Dean/Major Unit Head also forwards any files it believes should be reviewed by the Provost.
5. The Office of Academic Personnel reviews the Summary Annual Evaluation Spreadsheets for all of the colleges and major units, and any individual files that may require full review. Academic Personnel provides a summary report to the Provost.