Sabbatical Leave Guidelines
- Faculty should review the policies on sabbatical leave in the University Handbook,
Section E1-E8. The University Handbook can be
accessed at http://www.k-state.edu/academicpersonnel/fhbook.
- Faculty are encouraged to seek extramural funding for sabbatical leaves. The grants
and contracts office can provide information on
various grants and fellowships. Faculty members applying for a sabbatical leave
must make formal application to their department
administrator no later than November 1 of the year preceding that for which leave
is requested. Applications must be submitted to the
Office of the Provost by December 15. Exceptions to this deadline may be considered
depending on the circumstances. To inquire about
exceptions to these application deadlines, contact the office of the appropriate
dean. Leaves will be considered on the basis of
comparative merit, with the preference given to sabbatical leave requests for a
full year at one-half pay.
- Faculty members seeking approval or who are approved for sabbatical leave should contact
the Division of Human Resources to determine
the appropriate health insurance plan coverage while on sabbatical leave.
- Faculty must complete the Application for Sabbatical Leave form available in the Office
of Academic Personnel, Anderson Hall, Room 204
or it can be accessed at http://www.k-state.edu/academicpersonnel/forms/sabbat.html for html
version or http://www.k-state.edu/academicpersonnel/forms/sabbat.pdf for the pdf version.
- Faculty must obtain from the department administrator a statement which describes
the merits of the proposed leave and outlines the
details of how faculty duties will be covered.
- Those approved for sabbatical leave will be required to sign a Board of Regent's Sabbatical
Leave Agreement form. Faculty must agree to
return to the service of the state institution granting the sabbatical leave for
a period of at least one year (9 to 12 months depending on
the term of employment) immediately following the expiration of the sabbatical
- Upon return from sabbatical leave, faculty must submit a report on their sabbatical
leave. This is due within one month of returning to
full time status. Copies of the report should be submitted to the Provost, the
college dean, and the department administrator. The report
should include the following:
- A brief narrative of your sabbatical activities.
Did you accomplish all you intended as proposed in the original plan of work? If not,
why? Were there important activities or
experiences that you did not foresee in the original application? If so, what were
- A description of the outcome.
Did your sabbatical result in the product described in the original application? If
not, what has changed and why?
- A description of the scholarship or professional benefits.
In what ways did your leave provide scholarly and professional enrichment? How do
you plan to share this with your students,
colleagues, and the larger Kansas State University community?